Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Clutch Problem????

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Clutch Problem????

I have an 04 Raptor. I've had it 3 months and, today I was riding it for about 10 mins while all of a sudden something happened to the clutch. I had it in 1st gear let the clutch out and, it seemed to still be in Neutral. I took it to the dealer and, the first thing they said was the Clutch lever had 0 slack which it should have a little. They adjusted it and, the bike would move but barely. Now it turns out the clutch is completely shot and, i need new baskets plates and, springs. I have only ridden the bike for a total of 15-20 hours. So now they say it will be $240 for all the parts w/ the oil change and, $198 for labor. I asked why it is not under waranty if it was never adjusted right from the begining and, they said i'll have to get it fixed and, work it out w/ Yamaha. They said if i had the extended warranty Yamaha would prolly not ask ?'s but since i'm using the standard 6 mo warranty they will say no cocverage.

Is this nuts? What is the odds Yamaha will help me out. I treat the bike like my baby and, never even beat it. I can't believe the clutch just went out because of bunk adjustment frommday one and, the cost will be $450 to get fixed.... God, am I pissed.

I guess and, mods i wanted will be on hold for a bit. ^@#$%#@$^$%^^@#$%!$#Y^^%#*^

Old 10-10-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

if it is completely stock then the 6 month waranty should cover it............no matter what...........if it is cause it wasn't adjusted properly to begin with then the dealer should eat it.........cuase it is their fault or not assemble'n it correctly the first time!!!!!
don't let them drive the root to yah..........if nothing else take it to another dealer..........

it sounds like they are trying to make the warranty money and also your cash ............don't let em'

Old 10-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

how can i avoid getting hosed? They said it is not under warranty because clutches and, brakes are not under warranty as "normal wear items".. i'm thinking 15 to 20 hours is not normal wear. This really sucks! I no i'll get screwed, my luck is horrible!

Old 10-10-2003, 04:26 AM
Pro Rider

Youll only get screwed if you let them screw you, dont take it from them. They aren't being truthful, you just need to go in there with confidence and let them have it. If all else fails call yammy or go to another dealership.

Old 10-10-2003, 06:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess your #2. I bought my Raptor in Oct of 2000 and before Dec was up I had the same thing happen. The funny thing with mine is they NEVER knew what the problem was. They just told me they had to replace EVERYTHING that had to do with my clutch. I actually went into it myself before they got it and it looked ok. I replaced the fibers with new ones and re-assembled. Nothing changed. This is when I brought in to the stealership where I bought it. I told them what happened and explained that I replaced the clutchs because I knew they were not going to be covered under the warrenty. They kept it for about 3 weeks and then called me to come get it. I went back to the mechanics shop to get my bill and key. This is when he said "I still don't know what the problems was, but its fixed now". I was scared out of my mind how much it was going to cost me to get out of there. Thats when they told me it was covered under warrenty.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] He said it was a "good will from Yamaha", like a one time only deal.
So my point is the same, don't let them screw you.

BTW I am STILL on the same clutch they put back in it, and it has been seriously abused!!!

Old 10-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was working fine and suddenly stopped working I would think something broke and should be covered under warranty. If they will not cover it I would take it to another dealer. If that's not an option tell them you want to be there when it comes apart and you want ALL of the old parts EVERYTHING so you can have it examined.

Old 10-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

they told me the same thing about my zx12 clutchs. that went out in 3300 miles. not covered, so i called kawasaki and the dealer and said the bike is 2 months old , and i want something done!!!! they fixed it free of charge and said it waz a "good faith warrenty". this time and this time only

Old 10-27-2003, 03:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

One tank full we called the dealer and said that the clutch is going out be
prepared to replace the hole thing we are going finish it off in two tanks of
gas I hope. I rode it first ride full throttle first 20 min to seat the rings to get the extra 3to10% increase in power. the clutch started
to distort right away the dealer is ready for us. you didn't do
anything wrong the clutch exploded or distorted because it is not strong
enough it slips all the time you just can't feel it. The plates get so hot that it weakens the basket
and pressure plate that is what all week clutches do, on any vehicle they change
shape and crack, some thing you cant always see have you ever heated something
to bend it? That is what the heat and springs do in a weak clutch. That is why the cable gets longer and you have to adjust the clutch at first. The pressure plate distorts up less tension or pressure, clamping force on the plates. Then the plates burn up and the cable gets shorter quickly. That would not be problem if it did not slip. It is a poor package. That is exactly what we are going to
do. They have BS you. I have ben a mechanic for years and also some Racing AMA
amateur 600 super sport. We have it already covered, i researched it before He bought it last week.

Old 10-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

I found a dealer 40 min away in Indiana that got it coverd 100% under warranty. I went there to get parts that the dealler couldn't find on time for me to ride that weekend and, the service manager said bring it here i'll get it done. Finally a straight forward dealer! Saved me $450.

Old 10-28-2003, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also have two 04 rapters that i bought here in new jersey at burgen sports cycle in lodi,n.j. after 3 months we experience the same thing's happenning to you. it had to do with the cluth lever, they told us it would cost us aroun$489.00 parts and labor i told the guy it's crazy cause i was still under 6 months warranty, i ended paying only $135.00 parts and labor yamaha did the rest math ? my 14 year old son owns the special edition one in blk. be extremely care in the mud you can burn your cluthes out? some of these guys putting these atv together no nothing.

Quick Reply: Raptor Clutch Problem????