Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MX YZF450 takes YZ450 Dirtbike: Historical!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX YZF450 takes YZ450 Dirtbike: Historical!

I'm not the one complaining. I'm the one laughing at you. Its funny how you talk so much of "logic." You use the word far more then you should. Really. And stop your whining about evidence or lack thereof. All the facts I have laid out are directly from the article.

And in case you didn't notice, the bike won on the trails part of the comparison. But I guess you have some "logical explanation" for this too huh? Yeah, really "Historical." LOL

Old 10-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

OK,first thing,the only reason I have a quad is because Im waiting till my 2 year (bike)licence period is up to be able to ride "big" bikes.Anyway back to the issue,in my opinion there is no way these two machines are even comparable,unless you chain an anvil to the back of the bike you have no chance of winning on the quad(unless he falls off).Maybe the guy on the bike was a novice or just had no skill at all.I wish I read this article,because I havent had my daily dose of B.S. today...

Old 10-11-2003, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

cctman you say that ATV MX tracks and dirt bike tracks are built different, right? Are you a track builder? How are they different? Facts please, I race on an ATV only track. Now, if the race was at Mt Morris...don't they run an ATV national there?! Oh, and by the way, I believe that Barry Hawk is a 7 time cross country champion, not motocross. I am sure he is a very good motocross rider, but is he on the same level as Tim Farr and Doug Gust? Probably not. I stand by my first post. Tim and Doug and Jeremiah are not as fast as RC, Bubba, and other top dirt bike riders.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

Anyone ever see a bike run TT? I have and the Quad will win every time. A Quad just corners much faster, especially when it's smooth!

Old 10-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

bikes will always be faster, lighter, and better suspended than quads. they will always have the advantage on tracks. I went to a local track earlier today and watched a crf450 clear a 100 foot table-top that two different guys on yfz's that couldn't even make it half way across.

Old 10-12-2003, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Barry Hawk is a Cross Country racer. He won the GNCC bike title this year and won a bunch of them on quads. He is definitely the best person to perform this test.

Dirt Wheels and Dirt Bike both did the test and are each Hi-Torque publications. Of course they put their own "spin" on it.

The bike is faster everywhere except for in sweeping corners according to Hawk. They handicapped the bike to make the times closer.

Old 10-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: roosthrower
bikes will always be faster, lighter, and better suspended than quads. they will always have the advantage on tracks. I went to a local track earlier today and watched a crf450 clear a 100 foot table-top that two different guys on yfz's that couldn't even make it half way across.
Get a new rider then. A quad can jump 100 feet.

Old 10-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BarelyLegal
Originally posted by: roosthrower
Get a new rider then. A quad can jump 100 feet.
Bikes will still jump further and higher then quads.

Old 10-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

On the contrary what most of yo uso called ATV enthusiats believe about this event between the ATV and the YZ450 dirtbike, I would post bits of the article as were written. So, if you don't believe the new YZF450 ATV can take the bike then you have to put up a good theory as to why they made up all this stuff.

"Clearly the quad was faster on the motocross track under IDENTICAL conditions. Sure, we had to have not double jump the bike, but that was only because the track conditions prevented a fair comparison in this instance. On a track with a clean line up and over the doubles, the YZF450 is more than a capable jumper; we know that from previous experience. " <---- You can clearly see that since the track was developed as most are for dirtbikes that it favored and gave the bike a greater advantage.

As far as the dirtbike goes and those saying it was that much faster than the ATV at 4:29.44 to 4:25.79
"Considering the length and difficulty of the course, we were actually suprised that Barry could keep the quad that close to the lighter nimbler dirt bike. Since Barry rides the motorcycle almost every weekend, and has not ridden a quad all that much since he made the switch four years ago, we think, with time, he could tie or even beat the times he registered with the YZ450F. Even Barry felt he could go faster if he mounted a twist throttle on the ATV instead of the more tiring thumb throttle."

As far as my evidence for an offcambered jump goes and to why they took out the doobles--->
"After warming up on both machines, Barry noted that the motocross track's double jumps presented a problem for the quad. "there is a big mound of dirt in front of one the doubles that catches one wheel on the quad and kicks it side-ways. If I go around the the mound, then I don't have a straight shot at the double. I can pick a line that gets me over the doubles on the bike but on the quad.""
<----- As you can see again they took out the doubles to keep the track more fair since.... "Unfortunately, the motocross track was less than ideal for our contest as it had not been prepped from the last race held there."

And for those of you that doubt Barry's abilities...
"Seven time GNCC ATV champion Barry Hawk has switched over to racing bikes for now, but don't be suprised to see him return someday to the quad ranks after he takes his first or second pro dirtbike title."

Also.. "There is no question a quad had a deffinate advantage when it comes to full speed cornering. High speed cornering and a brake advantage give the four wheeler an edge going into any dirt turn."

Given all of this information from the article, it would be very easy to create a track where the YZF450 could dominate any dirtbike with same competant pro level riders. If I created a track more in tuned for ATV's, more smooth double jumps, more sharp turns the ATV will dominate the bike every time.

Old 10-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: cctmanIf you really want to brake it down physics wise, your talking about a much lighter dirtbike, but your fighting against a smaller contact patch surface. Your coefficient of friction to surface material is reduced significantly when your talking about the small contact patch on a narrow dirt bike tire.
To be picky, the coefficient of friction will not change based on the size of the contact patch. The overall frictional force might change, but the coefficient will not (sort of why it's a coefficient).

Quick Reply: MX YZF450 takes YZ450 Dirtbike: Historical!