Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Gettin a Quad

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gettin a Quad

I am finally getting an ATV, I have wanted one since 4th grade (getting it for 14th birthday) Have a few questions though...

I have been researching for a while now and been thinking what I would use it for.
After talking to a lot of people I have narrowed my choice to a Yamaha Blaster!!!

I will be useing the ATV to go around my town in light snow, and when it is not snowing just zipping up and down the road next to my house. I will use it in some of my friends trails. My parent's like the fact that it is low price for an ATV, and that the engine isn't that big.

1) What is the average top speed for it? (on paved / hardpacked roads)
2) What is some basic maintenance that I / the dealer would have to do?
3) Do you have to pre-mix oil and fuel for this one, I heard somewhere you didn't even though it is 2 stroke

I am sure I will think of some more questions, but that is it for now.

Thanks for the help everyone

Old 10-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Range Rover
Default Gettin a Quad

hey congrats on getting a quad. i think that you will like the blaster my neighbor who is sixteen has one. i do not know speed in mph because it doesnt really matter how fast you can top out at. they are fun quads that should have plenty of power for a 14 year old. his seems pretty tough all that has messed up on his is he blew out a shock at the mx track, but they gavr him a new one cause it was only a month old. does not seem to have any maintenance issues, but he stays out of the mud mostly , it is a chain drive, .hope you have fun and wear your helmet.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gettin a Quad

you have made an excellent choice. stock they go about 56 mph. mine goes 62 with my mods. you don't have to mix the gas. It has an oil injection unit that mixes the oil and gas in the carb. basic maintenance includes cleaning the air filter weekly (more if you ride in dusty areas), making sure that the oil injection tank is always full, oiling the chain, and changeing the tranny oil every once in a while.

Old 10-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gettin a Quad

blaster, hehehe Congrats on getting your new toy! You will love the sport of ATV riding. Im 15 and ride a Rappy. Where do you Plan on riding it? Just wondering

Travis

Old 10-12-2003, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gettin a Quad

good choice, its a great bike, definately a great choice for your wallet as well. its very peppy and puts out lots of power for its size. top speed, with a very lightweight rider, is 57mph. basic maintenance, keeping the chain lubed, for me i do it every 3-5 rides; tranny oil; cleaning the air filter, i only do mine once every month or so, the places i ride arent that dusty; really important - the oil injection. make sure its always got some oil, theres a red indicator light that goes on way before it needs changing, but its good to let you know, so just top it off every once in a while. mainly just have fun and ride safe. i have an '03 blaster, check out my pics for some tricks to try when you get good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default Gettin a Quad

I will be rideing it around my house/backyard, friends trails, and sand dunes.

another question...

How hard is it to learn how to shift and stuff (this will be my first quad)

Old 10-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Gettin a Quad

it's easy

Old 10-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Gettin a Quad

Originally posted by: ATV276
I will be rideing it around my house/backyard, friends trails, and sand dunes.

another question...

How hard is it to learn how to shift and stuff (this will be my first quad)
it is very easy. i have a quad that has automatic clutch that is very easy. the other day i drove my friends blaster that thing is a blast to ride! great choice. I am 13 and i plan on getting cats new 650.

Old 10-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gettin a Quad

13 on a 650? I am 15 and my 600 is a handfull to drive....

Old 10-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gettin a Quad

shifting is really easy, the clutch is REALLY light so you wont get tired of shifting. the bike has lots of power stock and a few mods can really wake it up. stock, mine can pull wheelies in 3rd gear. be careful when learning how to shift, dont drop it in, let out slow, dont worry though, youll master the clutch in no time. the 6 speed tranny is a lot of fun, and the engine has the power to make you have to hold on tight if you want it to.

you said youll be doing some duning. i ride mine in the dunes a lot and its a ton of fun. a word of advice though. unless you do some mods to extract some more power from the engine, dont get paddle tires. its kind of a waste, the paddles take so much power that most of the time itll just bog you down and stall a lot. the stock tires do amazingly well in sand. just have fun and im sure youll love this bike.

Quick Reply: Gettin a Quad