Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Nosedive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Nosedive?

Thanks for the help but i don't think i'll be riding it anytime soon, it was just a once in a lifetime thing, ya know what i mean? i went back and found out why I dumped it, because someone dug out the lip of the jump, it was in coal so you couldn't really see it, about my friend i don't know what his deal was.....

Old 10-16-2003, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Nosedive?

It's defenitely not the bike It's inexperienced riding. A fourth gear jump on a raptor should send you 100/120 feet easy, if your'e jumping properly. If your not you will nosedive. You can hit a 90 footer in low/mid third, gas it all the way up the kicker and don't let off at all. If you do nosedive and have time gun it in the air, the bike will lift just like a motorcycle does or better yet don't ride beyond your means stupid.

Old 10-16-2003, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor Nosedive?

Inexperienced riding? i think not, i'm just not used to riding that thing, it's not like the jump was huge it was more like a roller, and i found out the only reason i dumped it was because someone dug a huge hole in fron of the takeoff....

Old 10-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor Nosedive?

There are a few things happening that are bringing your nose down.

First, like some people have already mentioned, your letting off the throttle before your back tires have cleared the lip. The causes your tires to slow the quad down due to engine braking, while your front tires are in the air already. This is similar to when bringing your front end down when doing a wheelie on the flats. You back tires are slowing down while still touching the ground, "pitching" the quads front tires down. When the inertial force launching the quad keeps you going off the jump, the quad continues to pitch, and you nose dive. The longer the time in the air, the longer time you have to kiss your *** goodbye.

Second, when the front tires leave the ground, alot of the weight gets transferred to the back tires, and this compresses the rear shock. When this shock gets the opurtunity to let go, it will spring your back end up; again, pitching the quad forward. If anyone cares, the combined forces of the quad pitching forward due to engine brakeing while letting go too early, and the springing action of the rear shock are called "couples". This is when forces are moving in oposite directions on oposite ends of a body. This is why the quad reacts so violently in the air.

To counteract these forces, body weight and throttle control are the biggest factors. If you "blip" your throttle at the lip of the jump, you will do too things. The first, you will not let the engine braking effect come into play, and won't have that problem. Second, you will counteract the compression forces on the spring. You won't stop the spring from compressing though, you are just negating it's force. Your back tires will sort of spin under throttle at the lip of the jump. This action will try to pitch your front tires upward. This will counteract the force of your rear spring rebounding and pitching your quad forward. The idea here is not to completly counteract, but find a nice balance where the quad will naturaly pitch forward at a CONTROLLABLE rate in the height of the jump (I think the point is called the apex, but I'm not sure)

Here's some pics to illustrate my point.

Here is the wrong way to take off, the rear spring is compressed, and she let off of the gas too early, the quad is already pitching down.
Wrong Way To Take Off

This is the result of taking off like that.
The Result

Here's the right way to take off. Although you can't see it, the throttle was "blipped" at the lip of the jump, and the quads front tires are higher in the air at this point. After the "apex" the front tires should be lower to prepare for the downslope.
How it should be done
(The front end looks a little high, but with the length of this jump you can't see, it is a good takeoff)

Anyone who jumps their quads will tell you when you're just learning, to TAKE IT SLOW. Start off small and work your way up, this will help you get a feel for how the quad will react in the air. Tabletops are the most forgiving to learn on, don't start by trying to do double or triples like the Huevos guys. You'll only make it into the bloopers real, and the hospital.

I hope this clears up any questions you had, and if you're wondering why my post seemed so technical, I'm bored here at school (engineering), and am just killing time.

Old 10-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Nosedive?

Jigjew,
Great demonstration. Thanks fopr taking the time to make the post.

Old 10-16-2003, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor Nosedive?

No problem, just wanted to give my 2 cents

Old 10-16-2003, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Nosedive?

To reply to the hole in front of the jump, why didn't you see it? You should always roll the jump first instead of going at it in fourth gear. If it's not inexperience in riding, it's inexperience in jumping. Take it slow before you kill yourself. The Raptor in fourth is way to fast to hit almost anything unless Wes Miller is there filming you. You've had all these people including me tell you your problem. Try hitting first gear, nice 10 ft. tables first and most of all, take it slow. Be careful dude.

Old 10-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Nosedive?

I love hitting the jumps in 4th,i do it because i can,Glamis here i come,Look out below!!

Be carefulit took 2 years to get where i am at now,40-70 foot sand jumps or untill myfeet hurt..