Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Nosedive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Nosedive?

My buddy has an 03 Raptor, on sunday night i hit a jump in about fourth gear and totally nosedived the quad, the bumper stuck in the ground and i did a nice faceplant.. I got a shiner and knocked myself out no big deal, now the next day my other buddy was riding the same quad at a different place hit a different jump and nosedived the quad, he's doin ok though....

Anybody else having problems with Raptors trying to become Submarines?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Raptor Nosedive?

Does he have an extended swing arm? If so, your not gassing the bike at the top of the hill.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Nosedive?

You guys are letting off the throttle too soon, Raptors are far from front heavy. You control the front/rear flight height by the amount of acceleration when leaving the jump face. If you are on the throttle hard as your front tires become airborne, the front end flies higher than the rear. If you are coasting as you leave the earth, the front end nosedives. You've got to find the balance point for your riding style (butt back, butt forward, standing) and your quad. Most folks get up speed on the flat before the jump, let off the throttle to unload the suspension, and then accelerate up the face of the jump letting off the throttle at the right spot to fly level or just a tad nose high. Once you learn how the quad jumps and figure out how to control its flight by using the throttle, you'll be on the right path to big air!

Old 10-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Raptor Nosedive?

I would lay off jumps for a while if I were you two.

Old 10-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Nosedive?

I don't know who's dumber, you for trying to jump with an unfamiliar quad or your buddy for letting you ride it. Since he let someone else do the same thing, I guess the prize goes to him. Do yourself and the sport a favor, quit riding above your head.

Old 10-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Nosedive?

In almost every jumping pic of a raptor the rider leaning off the back just to keep the front end light...not the worlds best jumper...not the worst though...you guys are gonna kill yourselves...try not hitting 4th gear jumps till you know whats up.

Old 10-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Nosedive?

4th gear jumps, WOW............you have to make sure that if you are in fourth gear that it's not the bottom of the gear but the upper/meat of the power becuase if the gear is too tall you will not have the power to raise the front.

Old 10-14-2003, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Nosedive?

Hey guys, he didnt even say how big the jump was. But yah like they said, lean back and stay on the gas longer.

RoughRider01

Old 10-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Range Rover
Default Raptor Nosedive?

My motto with jumping is simple....When in doubt..throttle out!!!!I would much rather land farther back than farther front.JMO

Old 10-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raptor Nosedive?

I stay on the throttle until i am about to land with just a little blip of throttle on the lip of the takeoff. When i let off the nose would dive, now that i have a better feel of the machine i use it to my advantage when landing on downslopes. Even on the monster table tops @ a local track 3/4 throttle in third gear is more than enough to clear it, i can't imagine jumping in 4th especially as hi geared as it is.

Quick Reply: Raptor Nosedive?