Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Thinking about getting a used 01 Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 04:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a used 01 Raptor

Like I said before, it is like new. The guy doesn't really rag on his stuff, and I know he has taken it easy on it. As far as I know, he has never had any trouble. He got one of the first YFZ450s in Oklahoma, so he doesn't really ride the Raptor too much anymore. If he wants to let it go for around 3 Gs, I'll throw the cash at him. Still no info on the rear shock. Anyone know of problems occuring here?

Old 10-18-2003, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have a buddy that has one of the first 01's that was out. He has it piped and jetted and runs the heck out of it... dragging it with 2nd gear launches. He hasn't had a lick of trouble with it.... yet.

I just bought a wrecked 01 that is in decent shape... other than the bent frame, a arms, headlights and radiator. Should be into it for less than 3500 pretty easy. I still need a good radiator at this point... (HINT HINT!!)

I haven't been able to run it yet but I think that all will be well... doesn't appear to have many hours on it.

Old 10-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where can I find a rebuild kit for $350-$450??? Alva sells one, but it's $700. Just bought an '01, went to Waynoka, & lost 2nd gear!!! Someone please help!!!

Old 10-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 01 Raptor and the only thing I have a trouble with is the intake boot. I just had everything looked at again 2 weeks ago and everything is still in perfect shape. I also just put a HMF pipe on a jetted it up and stills runs like a beast. Just my 2 cents.

Also my stepdads RoadKing had the same problem with his intake boot being blown off two days after my Raptor did it.

Old 10-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

I have had experience with 01's....plus I worked in warranty for Yamaha - you will most likely have your tranny go out at some point. The shift fork and drum wear down, in which case your tranny will start slipping - or your dog/dogs will bust off and you won't be able to shift at all. The 01 rappy's that this doesn't happen to eventually are few and far between. Chances are if he hasn't romped on his Rappy too much, you can get some life out of the tranny still! We have an 01 rappy and have been racing it for two years.....we are on the 4th tranny rebuild. This last time we finally just upgraded and put in the entire 2002 transmission.........we do all our own labor so for parts it wasn't too bad to just replace stuff when it went out. But they put the gears as far down into that engine as they can get - and it's a pain to rebuild!!!

I'd say if it's in good shape and you can pick it up for $3000 - then sounds like a nice deal!!! You can update the tranny and still have a great quad for less than $4000.

I haven't heard anything bad about the rear shock - other than I had one customer come in because his new rear shock was leaking oil - it was still under factory warranty so Yamaha replaced it. Our rear rappy shock has lasted a long time......has held up really well. I wouldn't worry too much about the shock stuff. Plus - you can pick one up on Ebay for really cheap from people who have upgraded!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Oh - and yes, the boots will blow off on backfires sometimes.....we have learned to just not use the throttle too much while starting it - and this helps that problem. They also make aftermarket intake boots I believe.......

Old 10-21-2003, 12:13 AM
RIP Dear Friend

440grl,

Good information there.

I am one of the lucky 01 owners as of yet with the trans issue. I would like you to look at my photo page because of the intake boots and the zip ties that were on the intakes when purchased new. I have had no blow offs but because of the ATV connection forums my idle has been upped slighty.

ChetRacer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2003, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Don't buy a '01 unless it is a great deal or you have split the cases on a engine before and don't mind doing it again. . . Or if you plan on putting a 727 in it in which case the cases will have to be split anyways.

If your dealer does your service it is not a good deal!

Old 10-21-2003, 06:26 AM
Trailblazer

I've decided that it all comes down to what price he is going to ask. If it's cheap enough, I'll pick it up. I do have an advantage when it comes time to rebuild (if needed): I am really good friends with a guy who repairs ATVs for a living. When I was back in the States, I would always help him. In return, he hooked me up with parts at dealer cost. Labor wouldn't cost anything, so I think tranny replacement is a viable option. My friend, Chuck Tune, runs Little Sahara ATV in Waynoka, for those of you who go there. Some of you may have even seen me there last year. I was hard to miss, at the time, at 6' 6", 225 lbs.

Old 10-21-2003, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I bought a used 01 and its running fine! Had to replace a part in the starter and I got a leak in the oil tank, but other then that it works great!

Old 10-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TrEvIn
Well, I bought a used 01 and its running fine! Had to replace a part in the starter and I got a leak in the oil tank, but other then that it works great!
I hope you were knocking on wood as you were typing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a used 01 Raptor