Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hello all and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 11:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all and a few questions

HEY ALL
i bought a 2002 raptor about a month ago.. anyways it has a few goodies on it already.. dg extreem exaust gytr skid pans (i hate the REAR gets hung up on everything) Dial a jet (WHAT A POS) wich brings me to my first question.. i have the service manual wich is useless compared to a honda manual.. anyhow whats the stock jetting .. why two diffrent sizes? and with the pipe and a foam filter (aftermarket i believe uni) with the airbox lid on what jetting do you suggest.. also my next question.. anyone ever seen there reverse light blink?? mine is shorted out to kill the rev limiter (gotta buy the box) and it never turns on but in the trails it started blinking.. offcourse this was after the dial a jet sucked in water and made the machine run like crap (im removeing the dial a jet to sell and need to rejet the machine)

Old 10-17-2003, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

you speak of a honda manual, I sure hope you know you own a yamaha, if not thats your first problem right there.

Old 10-18-2003, 05:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

stock jetting is 140/145 (left to right), needle in the third clip (I think), and the fuel screws are at about 2.5 each

They are two different sizes because of the intake/head design. The right intake has more surface area thus flows more fuel/air. This means a larger jet in the right carb, over the left carb.

Jetting is mainly going to have to be determined by the person working on the machine. You can get a good close base line by answerring a couple questions, two you already did.
1: What kind of filter?
2: Lid or not?
3: What kind of pipe?
4: What is the elevation where you ride?
5: Is everything else stock?

The blinking light does ean something, but I can't remember what. Try using the search and type in "blinking light", or something similar, if nobody answers that question.

Nice signature BTW.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2003, 06:28 AM
Range Rover

intimidator.. no i was refering to my 88 250R service manual compared to the raptor yamaha manual..

letsee
filter: i believe its a uni foam filter... no name on it but is aftermarket
lid: yes being in the wet and muddy conditions of NY i run the lid
pipe: DG extreem full pipe and muffler (18?? discs in the pac)
elevation: ummm ughh the only thing i can find is metric 74.7 meters above sea level
stock or not: as far as i know its all stock other than the pipe and the oil tank

also i noticed its a bit rich.. but that could be due to the stupid dial a jet thing.. i have a pile of jets all the way up to 156 im not sure about pilot's but im sure i have those also it had the stock jets in it now that i know the numbers..

Old 10-18-2003, 06:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats pretty close to sea level, or close enough for gov. work.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

You will probably be around a 150/155, IMO. I would go ahead and turn the fuel screws out to almost 3 turns from seated.
You said its a bit rich, hopefully that because of the dial-a-jet. I couldn't see you being rich with a pipe and filter and stock jetting.
The opinon on pilots...well I have 27.5 (22.5 are stock) since I had my pipe and kilter, but some people run smaller ones.

You say you have jet size to a 156. Are those Dyno Jet jets, or Minkuni jets?
If the are DJs 148/150 would probably be close, but I don't know DJ sizes very well. They didn't get along with me very good. Don't mix the DJ jets with the stock needles, either run one brand or the other.

This should put you close, but you will have to do the fine tuning on the jetting.

Old 10-18-2003, 07:28 AM
Range Rover

i believe they are minkuni jets but im not positive... ill check .. also im pretty sure your right that the richness is due to the dial-a-junk (oops did i say that) anyhow thanks ward.. ill play with it a bit more today and see where i get...

Old 10-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

First, your blinking light if I remember correctly has something to do with not moving anywhere and having the engine running at abt 3000 rpm. I think it's some sort of diagnostic deal with the CDI.

As far as your jetting... I wouldn't get too carried away. Most of the jetting increase on a Raptor is due to opening up the airbox in my experience. If in doubt start out on the rich side and step down jet sizes until the bike starts to really run good. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it figured out but it's worth your time in the amount of experience you get.

I would probably shoot for 144/146 Dynojet, 3rd clip, stock pilots, and 2.5 turns to give you a ball park area to go with. If you want to jet rich to start I'd say 146/148 on the mains and work down from there... that is assuming you are close to sea level.

Old 10-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Range Rover

went 150/155 WAY WAY rich... would backfire.. big black clouds of smoke.. WEEEEEEE no good.. gunna try 145/150 next...

Old 10-27-2003, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

When is it puking black smoke like this?? Idle or opening it up?? Even though I've had my bike running rich, I've never had anything that sounded like what you're describing.