Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Alcohol??? Why do people run this in their quads????

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcohol??? Why do people run this in their quads????

anytime bro

Old 10-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

alcohol also takes water condensation out of your engine, especially useful for flooded mudders, run some alcohol in her and its good as new.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

Man you all are good with this stuff, you've answered all my questions so far so here's one more. Running alky isn't probably a good idea unless you're dragging or duning, in other words it's probably not a good idea to run alky unless you race or dune. Also i live in missouri and temp changes are a given. thanks for the help.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

I have heard that alky doesn't run very well with nitrous. Why is this? I think I will stick to gas for now, just to save the hassle, but I'm still interested why they don't get along. I plan on leaving my current set-up (20 shot and 91 with stock EVERYTHING internally) and getting my setup dialed in. I am planning on getting a +4 arm soon, as well as just learning how to launch and engage the N20 on this beeyatch. Later.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

you can buy kits for some carbs to switch it to alky.
From what I understand though, jetting/tuning alky is a much bigger issue (a lot of trial and error) going from sea-level to say 4800'. I'd buy an alky kit right now (actually I tried more than a month ago) if anyone knew how to make the FCR39 run it @ ~4800'. Anyone? Hell, I'd buy one to run @ Glamis next weekend. Anyone?

selector

Old 10-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Since Alky already has quite a bit more Oxygen in the fuel(hince the increased jetted to compensate) the N2O is made up of ALOT of Oxygen, the 2 together leans the motor out to much,and you loose power. Its just really hard to feed the engine enough alky when your on the bottle. GAS is much more easy to tune with N20

I do know that it is MUCH more of a pain to tune a 2 stroke in on alky, than it is a four stroke. You can get by with being WAY rich on a 4 stroke, so the temperture changes are not "critical" like they would be for a 2-stroke(whicj had to be dialed in more closer to perfect to make great power off of Alky).

Ward,

I can run dual 39's and only make 15 passes on a full tank(GUZZLER)!

But I have my 45mm mikuni jetted alittle on the lean side and I can mess arounf in the dunes for an hour,and still make 20+ passes on the drag strip, before I have to go on RES.

But to be honest, its been SO LONG since I have ran on gas, Its very possible that I am gas 50% of fuel mileage. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

BIgger.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The reasoning for the rough intake port is for better fuel atomization.....the rough texture actually helps break break fuel up for a more efficient combustion process.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Right and since you are feeding it so much more liquid it would need to be more rough to atomise the mixture.

Bigger, at the ATPT Nationals I had to fill up every 5 passes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I had to send here to AA. I think it might have had soemthignt o do with my stuck float valve though.

selector, it can be done. I would give Craycraft and/or Sparks a call. One of the two can help.

I NEVER had any trouble tuning the methanol in my bike. I can see it being a problem if you were running it lean to get the utmost power out of it and THEN the temp dropped. But running it real rich is not a problem like it is with gas.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

A post from a bit ago (by biggerisbetter) notes that samcoed's FCR39 with the TPS would not run w/ alcohol. Why?

Old 10-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: selector
A post from a bit ago (by biggerisbetter) notes that samcoed's FCR39 with the TPS would not run w/ alcohol. Why?

That was the STOCK 39mm that came on his new YZF450. it has a throttle positioning sensor on the carb, and it would not let the motor run right(i dont know why). I regular 39mmFCR will runn like a stripped *** APE on alky!

BIgger.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Alcohol??? Why do people run this in their quads????