Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Can I spin these 25" on the Wolverine? HELP Guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I spin these 25" on the Wolverine? HELP Guys

I've decided to upgrade the tires on the Wolverine. I really don't like the factory Dunlop tires. I want a light tire that has some good tread. Here is what the tires will be used for 40% hard pack/20% rock climbing/10% mudding/30% hill climbing. I like the looks of the BearClaw and the Mudlites. I plan on mounting them on the factory wheels. Any more suggestions on tires and are these good picks for what I plan on using them for. Around hear you have to ride on pavement to get to your spots, so a tire that wears good is a MUST.

Will be upgrading to a 25" tire for the extra 1" of ground clearance. I haven't upgraded the quad and it's still stock. I really like the quad, but its 1 gear gearing SUCKS! Will going to this new tire rob me of more low end end power?

I like the price of the Team Alba Wolverine kit. Pipe, filter, plug, jet kit, torque stuffer, oil, outerwear for $275.

Will the above package increase my low end by a great deal?

Old 10-26-2003, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't like 25" tires on a totally stock Wolverine,you will lose a lot of bottom end,and it will feel weaker all around. The Alba pipe is a bit on the loud side, there are a lot of good pipes out there that are a lot quieter. You will definately need a pipe,filter and jet set up to get the power back from bigger tires. You can stay with 23" tires by using the Titan 489 XT, great all around tread and 6 ply for puncture resistance.That way you won't loose power, and then later when you add the pipe kit, it will feel even more peppy.

Old 10-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Most important things are to make sure you have more power to spin the taller tire. I'd get that first, or just get the 23s as suggested. I have the 25" 489XT's on stock wheels and with the few mods I have (see signature) I spin them fine and dandy, and they kick rear in the mud. The extra clearance is always good in ruts especially those of the IRS quads runnin around. Another good idea would be to get lighter wheels, such as the ITP C-series aluminums. The decreased weight would help quite a bit too.

BTW: I have heard nothing but good things about the mudlites so far.

Old 10-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a compromise, 489Xt's are available in 24's, too.

Old 10-27-2003, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

The 25 inch Maxxis All Tracs I'm running really don't measure 25 they measure just a little under 24. They were quite a bit shorter than the 25 Dunlops I was running. From my experience the Bear Claws don't hold up great on alot of pavement, great in the mud though. I don't know how these All Tracs will hold yet but I let ya know.

Old 10-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer

Lotus, how much more power does the R4 and air box give you? Can you tell a BIG diffrence?

BTW, I like the looks of those black rims!

Old 10-27-2003, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like any good slip on, the R4 will help out on power, as long as it is jetted right. I was never able to get that airbox tuned in correctly for my bike, so I sold it. I am currently using the FST mods on my stock airbox, with some venting, the bike has never run better.

If you guys know anyone who could use a FST modded box with vented lid, Uni and Outerwares, let me know, may be able to lay my hands on another one.