Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee porting? Where? How much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 03:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee porting? Where? How much?

Sorry i know i have a ton of questions, many dealing with shee's. I just don't want to wait to find things out once i get mine, then kind of stuff really interests me. But i was just wondering about how much would this cost? and i live in missouri who could do this for me, or where could i send it to be done? Are there any things i need to know before getting this done? Any help is much appreciated.

Old 10-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Porting on a Banshee really helps it out and it all depends on how much you want to spend, i personally did my own and not to brag but it looked allot better than some of the ones I've seen done here locally where I live, The last one I saw was when I helped a riding buddy rebuild scared me it was one ugly hack job and he paid close to $400 bucks, They left it with the initial cuts from a steel cutter bit without going back over it with #60 grit sanding drums to even out all the valleys and dips and didn't point the air flow toward to ports, anyways to make it short it was bad. So the best thing to do is do it yourself or if you want to take it somewhere have them show you pictures of some they have done, any shop that does good work will be proud of there work and would of taken pictures. JMO

Old 10-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

i have the answer for you my friend! There is a local builder out of Grand Island Ne. that builds some sick banshees! He builds all the fast local banshees and the last trip up to sandfest he and all his machines ran with the best of the best! He is also very competitive with pricing compared to all the major builders. His website is WWW.DIRTWORX.COM!!!!

Old 10-29-2003, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Race logic
K&t
A&S
Grand River racing
patriot racing
mission yamaha
dirtworx racing
passion performance racing
dune trash racing

Those are all GREAT shops that pay attention to detail, Harry at trinity pays attentention to it too but the guys that he's paying 6.50/hour thats hacking away at your cylinders don't.

Mike

Old 10-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Racelogic makes great templates that what I used, I 'am thinking of doing alittle porting on the side, it's fun but very time consuming, so I might just end up selling my Racelogic templates after I trace them out and keep a copy for myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2003, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

Hiram, just wondering what kind of skills are needed and how mechanically inclined do you have to be for that racelogic kit? I can pretty much do just about everything mechanical on my warrior, with exception to some electrical stuff. I know where talking about a banshee here, not a warrior but if i can do about everything mechanically on a four-stroke do you think i could handle a two-stroke? Basically how hard is the race logic kit to complete? any help thanks

Old 10-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Look up K & T Performance out of Roy, Utah. Kim Munchmore and his sons are some of the best in the country for building Banshee's.

JMO, I have personally seen and used his work.

Old 10-29-2003, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Poorguy, I've seen/helped people use the race logic kits. It's not really hard, just more like......tedious. Takes a REAL steady hand and alot of patience, like hiram said.... it takes about 12hours total to port your cylinders. Basically its like coloring in the lines...except its w/ a low-speed grinder[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Mike

Old 10-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

If your good on a 4stroke then you'll be excellent on a 2stroke, I mean it's so easy to work on and fast you can have both jugs in your hands in 15 minutes and that includes removing the plastics. The porting is also very easy with the right tools, it's not as complicated as a 4stroke with the valves in the way, it's a straight shoot in on both the intake and the exhuast. Now what I think made it so easyfor me to do my porting was all the High School years of woodshop class and all my experience making custom speaker boxes back in the Mazda B2000 lowerider days. Pretty much if your good with wood you'll be good with porting. JMO

Old 10-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

You can do it yourself, but remember there is more to porting than just hogging out the cylinders. Dont forget the transfer ports, matchporting the case. Angle and shape..... but most of all if you do it yourself, make sure you chamfer the windows very well. Dont forget to port the windows in the pistons...

Quick Reply: Banshee porting? Where? How much?