Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How fast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast?

Stock raptors do about 70 right? How fast will they go with small mods like high flo air filters and an exhaust? I want a raptor and my only other choice would be an arctic cat dvx400(cause they look cooler than the suzuki and kawasaki). Are there any other small mods to make them faster? I don't think i would bother doing any big engine work .

Old 10-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default How fast?

Top speed really isnt affected by mods. I mean sure, it is by like maybe 3 or 4 mph, but nothing significant. Im sure if you put a bigger front sprocket on a rappy, it COULD gain 10 mph, but its getting there that counts. The mods u mentioned will get you to that 70-75 mph much faster than stock. How much faster? I dont know...

Old 10-29-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default How fast?

87 is right. Top speed is not increased by more motor mods. Its all in the gearing.
Stock Rappy does about 73-74 according to my gps. I did a few mods and went to a +1 primary sprocket.
Top speed is now 85 mph . Keep in mind that this is on asphalt.
My question to you is......If your not racing, why do you think you need to go faster?
I feel comfortable doing 85 on asphalt because you get good traction and the tires never leave the ground giving me a solid feeling.
Ive got to be honest here, weve got a trail here thats like a super highway of trails.
Its flat , kinda straight, and long and I dont think ive gotten the Rappy over 68 mph because every time I get up to those speed on the trail, she starts getting loose and wants to start comming around on me a bit.
Theres something about dirt and gravel that just doesnt give you the same traction as asphalt. lol
So what are you trying to accomplish?

Old 10-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default How fast?

that 75 plus is pretty fast, seems a place best left for cars

Old 10-30-2003, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default How fast?

mine hit 96mph tonite with my 255lb butt on it!

Old 10-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default How fast?

Bigscary. Weight have nothing to do with top speed. It only have an effect on excelleration.

Old 10-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default How fast?

Originally posted by: Freez
Bigscary. Weight have nothing to do with top speed. It only have an effect on excelleration.
thats where you are wrong......

I'll post results when I get one of my lighter friends on there.......
you would be correct if it was on the limiter in 5th....but it wasn't......

when we were all stock we would race and my lighter friend would pull me on top.....then we would switch quads and he would still pull me on top end......

Old 10-30-2003, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default How fast?

Nope. I am not wrong.

There are two major things affecting the speed of a car, bike, or whatever. Its power and the amount of air it has to move to go forward. Weight has nothing to do with it. It’s very easy to prove, and you have see the results yourself. Try next time riding your bike. Get top speed with you sitting up. Then lean forward and make yourself "smaller"...the speed increases, but your weight stayed the same. You friend might have been smaller than you, hence the less air to move out of the way and it means higher top speed.

The less air friction something have the faster it will go for the same amount of power.

Old 10-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default How fast?

acceleration is = to change in velocity.......weight effects/henders acceleration, and being as you must ACCELERATE to top speed, this will be hendered thus the top speed will be reduced.....

granted we are talking about a significant weight difference here(100lbs compared to a 400lb quad.....)
that is a VERY significant difference..........

Old 10-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default How fast?

I fully agree with you about reducing acceleration if you add weight. That is true. But top speed have nothing to do with acceleration. Acceleration is the time it takes to get form standstill to top speed or any speed in between. Don’t believe me... do some searching about top speed and how to calculate it using math. No where to the take weight into consideration. Top speed is determined by power and air resistance of the moving vehicle.

Quick Reply: How fast?