Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

whats the best ever sport quad for trails?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003 | 03:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default whats the best ever sport quad for trails?

my wolverine weighs less than a 700 prarie and its a 4x4! lol.
the wolverine is a TRUE <u>SPORT</u> 4x4.
how can a 2wd be better on the trails than a 4x4?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Have not seen a 4x4 that can stay with a sport quad yet
if thats true then how come the prarie,sportsman <u>4x4</u> can do 70mph (or almost)thats just as fast, or faster than some sport quads .
an i am pretty sure i have heard ppl say the wolverine can hang with sport quads

Old 11-09-2003 | 01:10 PM
Range Rover

Don't get the wrong idea guy's, I AM NOT dissin , any of those super fast sport quads, I am just relaying my opinion.
He does mean any and all conditions i assume, like long, narrow, loose, steep, winding washouts with NO way to get up any speed . there are a lot of those where I like to ride in Jelico Tn.
And truth be known, I really like sport quads, had some of my own.
Just wanted to ride the intense mountain trails that are a bit too demanding on sports.

Case in point;
________________________________QUOTE_____________ ________________________________
97 Warrior, great quad till I rode through a steep wash, split the frame in about 5 places. Got around to painting it before I gave it away to
family.___________________________________________ __________________________________
By: turtler thread titled; what did you all have before...

Peace
scaboy

Old 11-09-2003 | 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Ive takin my raptor threw stuff some 4x4's wouldnt dream of ive pulled out bigbear 400 4x4 and ive pulled out a sportsman 500 the wolvys arent that hard too beat on trails cause where i ride theres alittle bit of mud and ive went thorugh it many times but when my friends wolvy went through it he got suck in the middle and i went in there stopped and went around him and on trails i can out run wolvys all day long cause while yall are switching gears im in one gear on most of the trails

Old 11-09-2003 | 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

ive pulled out bigbear 400 4x4 and ive pulled out a sportsman 500
that is very,very very hard to belive specially whe the sportsman weighs 697 DRY and a big bear weighs
557 pounds dry, let olone in the mud, the only place your going to be pullin those big boys is out of the trailer.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] o yeah an the raptor dosnt have a tow hitch, and that much wieght wont be good for that axle of yours.

and i also doubt your raptor went thru mud a wolverine couldnt, unless your friend forgot to put it in gear.
far as switchin gears a wolv, will pull second on just about any hill and third on most. then again i dont know what gears your raptor will pull,

Old 11-10-2003 | 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, in my opinion, it all depends on what kind of "trail riding your doing" To say which sport quad is best leaves the door to far open.
I think for power, and comfort, and the reverse the raptor would be the best for trails. Now, if you want to go extremely fast threw the trails, and just rip the trails up, I would totally have to go with the yfz. The yfz handles so aweome at high speeds. It suspension and seat are way to hard though for just casual half throttle trail riding.
Now, I am a big yamaha person, and if you notice, these two quads that I mention, I also own. The 400ex is nice, but lacks the power. The z/kfx seems like a nice quad, but it too seems to not have the grunt of the raptor, or the speed and handling of the yfz. The polaris is toooooo heavy, along with the v-force, and I personally dont like the fact the quad is shifting by itself??
Anyways, thats my 2 cents. Maybe this new honda will be a nice trail machine, but I dont think it will be as good as the raptor for its low end power and the yfz's totally awesome all around package. (I could be wrong, who knows, the thing isnt out yet)
I would go with the raptor for any kind of distance riding at half throttle, and in tighter places that you have to go really slow. And I would also go with the yfz for extremely fast trail riding. The yfz will, in my experience, do everything that the raptor can do and then some....................just a little faster is all!!!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2003 | 12:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think the YFZ is going to be the best choice not just because I have one but i really do think it has the best suspension. Dont get me wrong though I really think that the Raptor is an awesome bike but the YFZ has better suspension and that's the main thing that counts on the trails.

Old 12-04-2003 | 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

How can any quad be the "BEST" trail machine w/o reverse???? That doesn't mean there are not GOOD trail quads w/o reverse, but w/o it they are not and can not be the "BEST" for trails.

Evidentally the definition of the term "trails" varies a great deal from person to person. Some of the trails we ride are VERY tight and technical, not to mention rocky. The boys with the stiff suspension, hard seats, and manual clutches are flat worn out by the end of the day. Hands killing them, wrists killing them, butt killing them... To me, that quad(Raptor and 400EX) is NOT the best tight trail quad there is. IMO the Lakota ranks way up there for the tight technical trails. NOTHING leaves me in those trails. It's very torquey, very nice ride, comfortable seat, auto clutch, reverse, light steering, peppy enough to keep on the a$$ of anything in front(which is NEVER the 400EX because he gets tired of having to get off and pull himself backwards when not sure of the trail ahead or a trail has to be made), and handles very well. Now get into wide open trails, I have no chance. But, in the tight stuff, they want to swap me quite often.

So I guess the question needs to be "What is the best quad for open trails and what is the best quad for tight, technical trails?"

Very tight/technical...Lakota gets my vote
Open, high speed....Raptor and Z get my votes there.

Old 12-04-2003 | 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Best all around trail quad, for all conditions, is a Polaris Scrambler 500HO 4x4, hands down. It might not be the fastest or the lightest, but it will keep up with everything and go farther than any other sport quad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2003 | 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Raptor.
vforce (gas tank to small)
z400 (not enough *****)
400ex (no reverse)
warrior (no *****)

IMO ( the vforce and the raptor are very close...i like shifting. so i have to say raptor)

What exactly qualifies the wolvy as a sport machine? the fact that it doesn't weigh 600lbs like other utility quads. the fact that you feel the need to keep replying/defending the wolvy alone tells us that quad is a legend in your own mind. we get the picture. you love your wolvy.

problem with this question is. trails vary so much depending where you live. tight-muddy-rocky trails are gonna favor utility quads. any trail you can fit two quads side by side with the ocassional mud hole...are gonna favor sport quads. i've tried riding with 4x4's. no thanks. can't keep up. and all they want to do is play in the mud. yawn. boring (for me). i'm up in NH. we have more trails than rodes. if you asked the locals up here. they'd tell you their TRX 350 (three wheeler) rules all the trails. and judging by how many i come across in the trails...it's hard to argue. and i'll say this. they can hang with the sports quads. and there welcome to tag along. 4x4's? no thanks. i'll call you if i get stuck. and getting stuck doesn't mean it's not a good trail machine. everything gets stuck. thats why they have winches. if your lucky to hae one.

i'd rather wrestle my sport quad out occasionaly. than have to deal with a 500-600lb machine. THEY ALL GET STUCK!

Old 12-04-2003 | 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

im not saying that sport quads are bad but 4x4s are better all around

Quick Reply: whats the best ever sport quad for trails?