Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee 4 Motocross

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee 4 Motocross

I wanted to buy a Banshee for racing motocross here in England . It would have to be a 2nd hand one because my budget won't buy me a new one . I weigh a mere 150 lbs and 33 years old and not raced a quad since 1986 . Is a tidy Banshee a good buy and is it true that a Bashee engine has a expirey date between blow ups . I put this on Buying a atv forum and one guy tried to sell me his 400ex . Some people must race these in motocross , I need to keep the faith in screeming 2 strokes .

Old 11-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

i raced my banshee the other weekend on a harescramble, it does alot better than people people say they do. a 400ex would be better on the track than a banshee, but dont get me wrong, they arent that bad. and yes banshees do need to be rebuilt every so often, around 6/7 years with proper maintenence.

Old 11-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

a 400ex would be better on the track than a banshee, but dont get me wrong, they arent that bad. and yes banshees do need to be rebuilt every so often, around 6/7 years with proper maintenence.

I disagree with above statementr because it is not very consistent with 'depth'........

1 st, the rebuild thing, how about every 200 hours, this could be a week and a half of straight riding, or could be 100 years----------->>hmmm just depends on your riding habits, but with the right love and maintenance they are pretty durable.... Just treat it like your baby after you finish riding it, but when you ride it, ride it like you stole it!! LOL...
Now for the big statement that I am finding somewhat upsetting... I totally disagree with the statement, 'a PI$$-X will be better for the track than the mighty SHEE!!!! C'mon and drop the fact that in the race world, no bikes are left stock, and when it comes to competition, alotta $$ (CHEDDAR) is dropped and put into these race bikes!! With the Cheddar dropped off into the almighty SHEE it will be turned into an AWESOME MX-er!!

1st take those disgusting front shocks off and throw them into the garbage can before they kill you!! Replace them with a top of the line shock like TCS, axis, Elkas, or something of the sort... (always remember you pay for what you get)<---a lil hint thrown at works shocks...........

2) widen her out with a +4 dura blue in the back, and some +2 a-arms in the front......

of course do not forget about the nerf bars......
3) Put the MX pipes of your choice, and get your motor work ported, Delta v-force reeds, a long-rod, bore out your cylinders .80 and install the Pro-X blaster pistons, true and weld your crank, get some cool heads w/18cc domes, advance the timing, and do the other odds and ends that you would normally do and BAM----->>now where is the 400 ex?? I will tell you where it is------------>>about a lap and a half behind you!!!! LOL With the right Cheddar, the shee can be made into the most awesome race bike to ever roll onto the face of the EARTH!!

This is my .02/worth, does anyone have any comments?? I am listening??

Old 11-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

Go with fmf fattys, or CT MX pipes, these pipes put out power all the way around the band, and will not wear you out like some of the more pipier pipes could..........

Old 11-04-2003, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

You would have to put a lot less chedda into a 400ex than a shee, i can almost gaurantee it.

BTW, did you know that 'cheddar' comes from peasants being paid in cheese instead of money back in the really old days? so they said cheddar instead of money. i know exactly what your talking about,learned it in history class,lol

Old 11-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

AND, why are you dissing WORKS? they have been very good on my banshee, they were worth the $300.00 i paid, you just saying that cause i have them on my banshee?

Old 11-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replies I am grateful . Going to buy a Banshee in the new year, the wife will not let me have one sooner , bummer huh ![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 11-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Baxter- i see where your coming from when you say you still have faith in 2 strokes. it's not that the banshee isn't a screaming eagle, it's just that it's ergenomics aren't the best for motocross. it's made to haul in a straight line.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not met Paul Winrow yet will do when start racing in the new year . He was riding a rapter at one stage but kept blowing up then he bought his laeger honda and won the British Championship . I will be probabley race against him at some stage .[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] He seems to be the guy to beat but I ain't that fast yet. If the Banshee is mechanically sound to race for motocross then the body work will be altered.