Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the h**L is breaking in???????/

what is it and how do i do it

Old 11-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

"Breaking In" refers to the period of light riding you put an engine through either when it is new or has been rebuilt. This time of light abuse gives the rings time to set in, seals time to expand, and for the engine to work out any small imperfections. This is a vital time for your engine. Most manufacturers recommend you not exceed half throttle for the first two hours of ride time. Then do not exceed 2/3 to 3/4 for the next 4-6 hours and then you can hit the top end, just don't peg it and hold it. It is also important not to load the engine hard by either ******* it or loading the clutch hard during this time. Keep in mind that the original oil in a new bike is breakin oil and is thinner than normal oil to allow everthing to seat well. After ten hours of ride time, remove the breakin oil and replace it with an oil of your choice. Replace/clean the oil filter as well. Hope this sufficiently answers your question.

~HoundDog

Old 11-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

thanx man exretmely informative[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] kool sounds pretty complicated but ima HAVE TO DO THAT to my new raptor i guess >im using my friends screname and i dont think he broke his in> is his engine gonna be messed up?

Old 11-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

when i bought my triumph daytona i had to keep it under 50mph for the first 500 miles and under 70 for the next 1500! talk about torcher! not to say it didn't go above that once or twice[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Generally a lack of break in care shows up in duration of the engine. It may not appear that he has any problems to begin with, but his engine will suffer from cylinder scratches and other deficiencies it may have from improper break in. He will wind up rebuilding his in a couple of years while your properly broke in motor will be good for years to come (assuming you keep proper maintenance). Break her in gently. It's hard to keep from givin her the juice, but there will be plenty of time for that once she's broke in. Do it right. It's well worth it!

~HoundDog

Old 11-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

BREAKING IN AN ENGINE 101.
Step 1. Stop and buy a 12 pack on the way home from the dealer
Step 2 Drink a beer before unloading your new ATV
Step 3 Unstrap ATV Look for ramps
Step 4 Drink beer
Step 5 Can't find ramps, look for good place in ditch to unload
Step 6 Drink beer
Step 7 Back into ditch and bury reciever hitch into mud.
Step 8 Drink beer
Step 9 Spin out real bad, throwing mud, gravel and grass onto wife who was directing you into ditch
Step 10 Drink another beer
Step 11 Ask neighbor, who just showed up cause of all the noise, if you can use his ditch.
Step 12 Drink beer, give one to neighbor
Step 13 Back into neighbors ditch and proceed to unload ATV
Step 14 Drink beer
Step 15 Look for owners manual.
Step 16 Can't find manual so just gonna wing it.
Step 17 Pick up pushmower and pour gas out of it into coffee can because dealer put two
Tablespoons of gas only into ATV.
Step 18 Fire that baby up while drinking another beer
Step 19 Get on ATV and pull out into street. Listen to neighbor say something about how you should
have bought the bigger bike because these are slow.
Step 20 Pin it wide open because of all the beer and crap from your neighbor.
congratulations you have just broken in your new ATV.
hahahahaha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2003, 02:18 AM
Range Rover

Break a new engine in like you will ride it. Within 3 heat cycles the rings will be seated. Think of it as de-burring the motor and tranny on the inside and change you oil after each of the 3 heat cycles to remove metal...

Old 11-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Range Rover

seriously though. This topic has been debated time and time again. I have seen it done both ways, I guess do it however makes "you" feel best.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a really good article I used this method on my banshee and have yet to have a problem I have checked my compression recently and all is good.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I know some will disagree but if you read it it really does make since. just my 2 cents.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Gentlemen, that is one of the worst articles I have ever read. Simple mechanical physics tells you that this guy is full of it (meaning the article author). I mean come on, he tells you that running your engine really hard right off the bat will allow the rings to be "filed" by the crosshatch bore pattern but running them slowly will instead wear out the crosshatch before the rings are "filed"! Come on... anyone with a little physics knowledge knows that two factors play a role in friction erosion: hardness of contacting surfaces and directional forces (such as the edges of a crosshatch pattern would exert). We are supposed to buy the idea that the speed in which you run the rings past the surface of the cylinder will determine which is eroded faster? RIGHT! Whatever!

If you gentlemen want to toast your engine right out of the crate... go right ahead. I have seen it done and watched them crater in a couple of months to a year while an identical bike is broke in gently and lasts for a few years with no major problems. Sorry, but I believe the technicians who design my engine (as well as my own experiences) over some mechanic who thinks he has found some conspiracy like secret revealing that the proper breakin procedure has changed drastically over the last few years and that this fact has either completely eluded the manufacturer or they simply don't want to tell you... sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. Course, this is just my opinion.

~HoundDog

Quick Reply: what the h**L is breaking in???????/