Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Durablue axle questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durablue axle questions

I saw the Raptor X33 2+2 axel at RockyMountainAtv.com for $289. What am i missing that costs $457? Is it the Billet hubs? What would be the advantage to those?

I've had my stock axel for 7 months now w/hard duning and, a lot of Jumping hold up fine. I weight 245 as well. Will the wider Axel be as strong? It would seem logical that the wider the more stress it puts on the axel. No?

Old 01-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your talking of the Eliminator 2+2 axle for $289. That doesn't come with new hubs. You reuse your old wheel hubs. That's the way I would have went had my hub splines and the axle splines not been worn down to nothing. I eventualy welded the left hub to the axle this last trip to Glamis to get me by for the weekend. The Eliminator X-33 and the Eliminator are the same axles except the X-33 comes with billet or cast wheel hubs.

Yes, wider will put more stress on the axle. That's why we go aftermarket. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I've been useing wheel spacers for a year and a half with no problems.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

I have hear alot of stories about the X-33 axles failing. The pins shearing off, and just plain snapping in half. Isn't the X-33 the one that is hollow and light and made pretty much for drag racing or easy duning?

RR1

Old 01-30-2004, 05:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorRacer1
I have hear alot of stories about the X-33 axles failing. The pins shearing off, and just plain snapping in half. Isn't the X-33 the one that is hollow and light and made pretty much for drag racing or easy duning?

RR1
From my understanding it is hollow, out towards the ends of it there are large threaded holes going into the axle. Your hubs that come with it have the pins running through them. To set your width you back the pins out slide the hub to where you want it and screw the pin into the hole in the axle. It can go from -2 wider to +4 wider I think. It supposed to be just as strong though.

wshrdskin, I'm not real sure what hub or bolt your talking about.?.? I have had my eliminator for awhile now and have only had 2 very small problems with it. The first is the way the lock nut is made it has a bad habit of comming loose. What I did to fix it is wedge a flat head screw drive in the slot of the lock nut, not real hard...just open it up a little more, then tightened down on the set screw. I also use lock tite on the screw, the weak color...blue I think. The second problem is the hubs want to loosen up also. To fix this I just had to really crank down on the nut.....BUT you won't have that problem with those hubs.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm talking about the (pin) bolt that slides through the hub and axle to hold the hubs on. I was wondering if that has ever failed anyone. The torque and power of a quad this size I would think a bolt through an axle to hold the hub on would be a weak area.

RaptorRacer

The X-33 is suppose to be their best axle they make and made for hard riding and racing, so they say.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

So if i get the x33 I can make my Rappy +4 wider and, the axel will still be stronger? I can use the stock hubs? Would the only reason to buy the billet hubs be to save weight?

Do you know if these problems you have w/ things loosening up are addressed now in the newer axels? Or, would I be better suited to try another axel you could recommend? Are others competitivly priced?

Old 01-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ahhh I see now. Somebody on here had one, but I can't remember who. I talked to them about it's weight.

So if i get the x33 I can make my Rappy +4 wider and, the axel will still be stronger? I can use the stock hubs? Would the only reason to buy the billet hubs be to save weight?

Do you know if these problems you have w/ things loosening up are addressed now in the newer axels? Or, would I be better suited to try another axel you could recommend? Are others competitivly priced?
1: supposedly Yes
2: not with a X33 you can't, but you could with an Elimintor like I have
3: no, that is one of the reasons the x33 is stronger but lighter
4: don't know,but probably the same thing
5: there are a couple different axles out there depending on how thick your wallet is
6: some, check out the Lonestar as a competitor for the Dura Blue Eliminator