Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1st ATV Problems, Sputtering. HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st ATV Problems, Sputtering. HELP !!!

Ok, This is my first ever ATV. a 1997 warrior. It has a DG pipe, KN air filter and was properly jetted. The boot from my air box to my carb ripped to instead of buying and waiting for that part to be ordered I went ahead and purchased one or thise foam air cleaners that attach directally to the carb and deleated the air box all together since I am not into mud bogs or deep water. The Warrior runs perfectally untill I hit 2/3rds throttle in any gear then it starts to caugh and sputter like crazy. What is the problem and how can it be solved? Thankis in advance

Old 11-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

well my friend has a 98 warrior as it sputtered and he changed the spark plug to a ngk racing spark plug and it stop sputtering and if that doesnt help u might want to re-jet it......did u re-jet it when u got a new pipe?

Old 11-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I bought it a month ago it ran perfect. when I changed air filters it started sputtering. I told the dealer that i bought the foam air filter from that I used to have a K&N. He said that the KN and the new foam filter flow about the same and that I should not have to re-jet.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

ahhhh. i didnt read ur thing all the way sry.....but on my old quad i didnt have a air box but if ur air cleaner get wet and ur carb sucks air it wont run right u need a air box or it might be sucking to much air thats y u need a air box...........even on my dirtbike right now it doesnt have a air box and i went through a mudd puddle and everytime u got it up to speed it would spit and studder really bad i couldnt run it right

Old 11-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

its really doesnt matter if u take it threw deep mudd or anything as long as water hits it and get it wet pretty good it wont run right

Old 11-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Your dealer is full of shiz!! K&N's lean everything WAY out when I first out mine on and took off the lid the plug was completely white. Now that youve gone from K&N to foam u are probably running rich.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I got one vote for to rich, one vote for to lean(to much air) is there any way to remedy the problem without rejetting. I don't need the air box because the conical air filter fits directally onto the carb. any other info/suggestions would be graetly apprectaited and thanks to the guys who replied.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

start with the plug thay are inexpencif and esy to replace, also thay breal or grt dirty esy.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

That was the first thing I thought of was the plug. I replaced it and it did no good.

Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

i would just buy a air box to keep the air cleaner clean

Quick Reply: 1st ATV Problems, Sputtering. HELP !!!