Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine vs anything else

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine vs anything else

My opinon will be somewhat biased being a Wolvy owner and a Yamaha atv owner for the past 11+ years but here goes. As far as the Wolvy goes mine is reliable it has never stranded me on the trail. Only repairs I have had to do are wheel bearings, brakes, and u-joints. These parts see a lot of mud and water and wear out on any off road vehicle. Powerwise they may be not as powerful as some of the larger displacment 4x4s but stock against stock mine would regularly out run a 2000 Rancher. The Wolvy already handles better than most 4x4s and with the disconnect it does better. I quoted this once already, Pro racing champion Mike Pendland said of the Wolverine "It may not be the best at anything but it does everything well." I have to agree.

On the Rancher I have nothing really bad to say about them. Honda always builds a reliable machine. If there is a weak point it would have to be the drum brakes, they fiil up with mud and cause some trouble. Highlifter I see is making a disc conversion for them now.

As far as Scamblers go. I haven't been around the 500s much but I have beenaround a couple of 400s and a few other Polarises. Two brothers that live above me bought 2 400s in 98 when I bought the Wolvy. When they new they were good machines, faster than the Wolvy. The only thing I could fault them was the goofy left hand for all the braking. After they got a little older they stayed broke down. More problems than a bearing or a set of brakes. Neither one of them would recommend Polaris to anybody. I have to give Polaris credit though they can make soom good LOOKING machine.

Just my $.02 worth of personal experience.

Old 11-12-2003, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Another option to look at might be the Eiger. I have heard alot of good things about it. I have heard good things about the Outlander as well.

Scramblers will fly. A couple of things. 1st is they are chain driven in the rear which means a bit more attention and maintenance. 2nd the 4x4 engagement. The front tires dont pull until the rear tires are moving 20% faster. Then each wheel is locked at the individual hubs electonically. This also means possibly more attention and maintenance. Other than those two issues this quad will flat out move. It is probably the fastest 4x4 out there. I think it will do very near 70mph. It does have lower ground clearance due to the chain drive. These things are a blast if you like speed and torque.

Rincons run and ride like Cadallics. It seems one needs to do a few mods to wake them up. Not as sporty as some of the others.

Ranchers are very reliable quads. Not as sporty as some of the others. I think you need to buy an unlocker for them as well.

Prairies are very large being a 700. They have good reviews but I bet they are big.

Wolverines have a great reputation for reliability. They are very light and sporty. They do lack enough power for hardcore mudding or hard work due to the high first gear. The are alot of fun but a unlocker is a must in my opinion. Of course you can mod it to make whatever power you want.

Kodiaks are probably closer to the rancher in sportiness and further away from the wolv or scrambler. They do have a very nice turning radius. If you go used and get a 400 be sure to get a 2001 or lower so you have low range. If you go 2002 or newer, get the 450 so you have low range and the diff lock. These are also very reliable quads. But not as much fun as the wolv. There are a couple of things to do to Kodiaks. First, check your trans vents to make sure the clamps are tight. Second, make sure the one you buy has a waterpump with a tube on the weep hole. Third, keep an eye on your rear disc brake cause mud will make it wear out fast. Buy the best pads you can get to help this problem.

You can see what I decided on in my signature. If you have any questions about any of the models I own I'm happy to answer.

Old 11-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

the only other opponent to the wolverine is the ranche, and the bruin. the wolverine does well pulling, but it dosnt have the weight of the other 2, but the power is good. the bruin prolly can tow more, and the rancher is a bit more rounded machine.
as far as feedback i love my wolverine
the wolverine and the rancher are full time 4x4 so you cant switch out of 4x4, but i belive on the bruin you can. the one you will have the most fun on is definently the wolvy.

Old 11-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

I just read a test on the new BRUIN and it was rated very good. I think it is basically a wolvy BUT can switch to 2WD and its also a auto. It also has the highest towing rating in its class and comes suandard w/a 2" riciever style hitch.

If buying used and you want more sport than ute you can't go wrong with a wolvy.

Old 11-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

I had a Scrambler 500 and it was literally a piece of JUNK (IMO). I had more trouble and aggrevation out of that single bike than I had out of all my other 10 combined. Sure, some people may like them, but I don't think they are a reliable quad.

We have a Wolverine and really like it, but you will need a pipe and airbox + KN filter power kit too really juice it up. I just bought a new Rincon and it rides like a dream, but it has VERY LITTLE engine breaking. The breaks are very nice!

1) Wolverine
2) Rancher
3) Rincon
4) Suzuki Vinison look nice

I wish Yamaha would increase the size of the Wolverine to a 450 now that would be PERFECT.

Good luck and let us know what you go with!

Old 11-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

I'm really thinking about that new all terrain pickup from polaris ....looks like a nice little work horse for around the property...still having some agility on the trail.

Old 11-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sAyIt_fmf
I'm really thinking about that new all terrain pickup from polaris ....looks like a nice little work horse for around the property...still having some agility on the trail.
Do you mean like the Ranger? Someone posted vids on here of a Ranger jumping .. looks kinda scary on the last one .. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

I was talking about this one....

http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/...004PolarisATP/

I would not even think of using it for jumping...I have a good selection of sport atv's already...but for a workhorse around the property...I could do that.

Someone also mentioned having trouble with the polaris500. My buddy has one...It's a few years old by now...but seems to do just fine.

Old 11-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

I think any of your choices would be great if you bought new, its just hard to know what a previous
owner has put it through on used ones.
My experiances with honda's is hard to discribe, their engineering seems to be all screwy.
I'm sure there are people on this thead that can be more specific on that, I can get A
little long winded.
I do however recommend any Wolverine new or used if has been taken care of.

peace
scaboy

Old 11-12-2003, 07:50 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

If you want pulling power (a working quad) as well as a trail rider then you really want a utility model. Pretty much any quad can be fun on the trail once you get used to it. However the big bores not only have more pulling power they also have more torque and horsepower which makes for a sportier ride on the trails (if you want to do more than just plod along).

That being said the top three (Yamaha Grizzly, Kawasaki Prairie 650 or 700, Honda Rincon) all weigh about the same (around 600 lbs). The Grizzly does everything well but handles sloppy (can be ridden fast but takes getting used to). The Prairie is the power king and offers the sportiest ride of the big bore utilities. The Rincon provides the smoothest ride. The Yam & Kaw are both rated to tow around 1200 lbs while the Rinny is rated at around 850.

However the sport/utility that has been rated the best handler of them all on the trails is the Suzuki Vinson (500). If you want to compare another manufacturer’s quad with the Wolverine, this is probably the one. It currently has an auto transmission like the others mentioned so far but I hear they will soon be releasing a manual shifter as well (perhaps it is out already). The Wolverine is lighter (by almost 125 lbs) than the big bores but is powered by an air cooled 350 engine. It also doesn’t offer as much mud protection as the bigger utility models. If the best in handling is important, the Vinson may be your best choice, if maximum power is important as well as sporty handling, then try a Prairie 650 (pre 2004) or a Prairie 700 (2004). If ride comfort is important as well as power, include the Grizzly in your test rides.

If you start out big you wont have to worry about “outgrowing” or wanting for more power anytime soon. BTW the Scrambler 500 is only about 25 lbs lighter than the above mentioned utility quads. However the Polaris models tend to be heavier by design, for instance the big bore Polaris utilities are about 140 lbs heavier than the above mentioned models.

Quick Reply: Wolverine vs anything else