Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Powdercoating

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating

I want to powdercoat my rear hubs, axle and axle spacers and I got a quote of $75 for all of this stuff. How does that sound? Im going to go with a flat black coat with no texture. I think it will look sweet on my LE! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] The price does not include shipping and Im in CA and he's in MI, what do you guys think?

Old 11-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Powdercoating

sounds like a pretty good price but he shipping will cut into the savings. might try to find one local and they may beat the price when you figue in the shipping to the other place. also if you are planning on doing any other parts that color you might want to do them at the same time so you don't have to pay the set up charge again.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Powdercoating

I would not bother trying to powder coat an axel....it will not hold up...Or maybe it will....

But what do they do with the areas that are threaded...powder coating is pretty thick.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Powdercoating

would not bother trying to powder coat an axel....it will not hold up...Or maybe it will....

But what do they do with the areas that are threaded...powder coating is pretty thick
Why wouldnt the coat hold up? I dont do any riding in rocks or stuff like that, mostly dunes and some dirt trails. Powdercoating is really strong and doesnt chip easily so I dont see why it would hold up!

They just dont powdercoat the threads, I asked that same question to the guy and he said he has a Z400 and he has powdercoated stuff for his quad and knows he aint supposed to coat threads!

Old 11-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Range Rover
Default Powdercoating

They should cap all the threads so it will not get on them. Powdercoating shouild hold up very well if done right. Go for it I love mine. I would still try to find a local shop. If something was to go wrong it would be easier to get taken care of.

Old 11-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Powdercoating

I found a place 100mi from me. Valley Powdercoating in El Cajon gave me a quote of $80 for hubs, axle, axle spacers and 2 wheels! Thats a sweet deal and I will be sending the stuff on monday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Powdercoating

sAyIt_fmf.......WRONG>>>> Powder coating does hold up! Also Powder Coating that is done right is no thicker than a standard paint job. Powder coat IS PAINT!!!!!!! powder coat starts it's life as something real close to standard paint, then it is dried and has polimers added to it!. The advantage of powder coat is that it does not have the micro holes in it that a paint job does because when it is baked on it flows. HERE IS PROOF....
Powder coating is a dry finishing process, using finely ground particles of pigment and resin which are electrostatically charged and sprayed onto a part to be coated. The parts to be coated are electrostatically grounded so that the charged powder particles projected at them adhere to the parts and are held there until melt and fused into a smooth coating in the curing oven. The result is a uniform, durable, high quality finish that is also environmentally friendly.
The powder coating process uses a solvent free mix of plastic resins, pigments, and fillers that melt and fuse together when heated. The solid particles of coating are electrostatically charged in a spray gun and carried by low velocity air to the surface of the piece to be coated. The electrostatic charge holds the powder particles in place while the part is cured in a 400 degree oven. The heat of the oven causes a chemical reaction to occur and the powder to cure, creating a highly durable finish.
Any metal object that can hold an electrostatic charge and withstand the heat of the curing process can be powder coated. Powder can be applied to intricate surfaces and still maintain a uniform finish across the entire piece.
The performance characteristics of powder coating match or exceed the characteristics achieved from conventional solvent based coatings. Powder coating provides an extremely durable finish and has bonding capabilities superior to traditional wet paint. In addition it has excellent chemical resistancy.
Powder Coating is an environmentally friendly process unlike solvent based wet paint systems. With EPA regulations growing ever stricter, powder coating is fast becoming the technology of choice. Since the powder coating process does not use solvents in any way, VOC emission problems are eliminated.
Since its introduction in North America almost 40 years ago, powder coating has become the fastest growing finishing technology, currently representing over 10 percent of the total industrial finishing market. More and more finishing engineers for a countless array of products have switched from liquid finishing to powder coating as a way to produce a high quality and durable finish while maximizing production, cutting costs, improving efficiency, and complying with increasingly stringent environmental regulation.
You can learn tons by reading!

Old 11-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Powdercoating

Now....go for it, that is a normal price. Just remember the parts will be at 400 deg. for 20-30 min. If it can warp, I would hold off on the P.C.

Old 11-14-2003, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Powdercoating

OK...attack me then.....I know the process of powder coating quite well... So get out the technical terms and have at it!!.(or cut and paste from the net) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I spent a few years in manufacturing...ever hear of SUMAX? look them up...then call them and see what they say. I powder coated a swing arm...it held up for a while. (looks like your from the desert...so no mx type trails) it may hold up...all I was concerned with is the axle...I have never seen anyone do that...seems silly.

go ahead and powder coat the axel. We ran into problems on a banshee axle...the powder coating is thick...the axle is tapered up to the threads then (of course) it remains constant for a while as the axle passes through the carrier. adding powder coating <up to the point of the threads> created a situation where the nuts would not slide over the axle to meet with the threads. (like a little lip).I guess this depends on the type of axel nut used.

So now what do you do? you either shave a bit of the coating...or you force it over the coating right? either way..that's where your GOING to see an issue...if you don't..I'll admit I'm wrong. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

You can learn tons by reading!
....lol you can learn even more from experience!

I say do it...it's only money.

Old 11-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Powdercoating

then...........
take a look at

THIS

You will notice that there are no axles in that list.

now use this 1-800-654-5546

and ask them why?

SUMAX is world known for their custom Harleys and paint jobs. Seriously..they will not guide you wrong.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating