Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

building a blaster??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a blaster??

i have a blaster with the basic bolt ons: trinity pipes, filter, airbox mods, jetting etc. i am looking at building it up a bit. i don't race on a track so suspension or a-arms are not an issue. i want the bike a little quicker. i don't want to bore the heck out of it and make it not reliable. i am familiar with building 4 strokes as i built my 400ex. what compression is good to go with on the blaster? i am thinking i only want to bore it out up to 1mm or so, so nothing drastic. what else would be good to do without spending a butt load? any suggestions would be great. thanks

Old 11-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

get a weisco pro-lite piston. It adds five horses and increases compression a bit. Run premium unleaded and buy a degree key. you could also get some reeds and a reed spacer.

Old 11-16-2003, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

do you really like the wiseco pistons? i would never put one in my 400ex. they may be different for the two strokes though. the je and ross pistons have correct compression ratings while the wiseco's are off. do you have experience with the key or reeds/spacers? i know the keys on the 400es make it run slightly hotter but makes the low end power feel more crisp. besides that it doesn't do much. i don't have a clue on reeds since i ride 4 strokes.

Old 11-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

run vitos .020" over super stock piston, mill and deck the head, advanced timing degree key, eliminate oil injection system and run premix, v-force reeds, and gearing would make that little blaster really run for all less than like $500. dont waste your time boring over the old saying "theres no replacement for displacement" doesnt mean sh*t on these small bikes. they will over heat when bored more than .060" over. do the things i said and i am sure you will be happy and still be fairly reliable. i have a friend who i put in v-force 2 reeds in his stock blaster and it didnt pick up a bit of horsepower, so we took them out piped it, filtered it, jetted it, changed piston, and milled the head .020" over(could of gone .030" over on pump gas safely) and ran it with stock reeds and the thing ran well but then i put the reeds in the modded engine and got a real good gain. in my own experience the vforce reeds are better for mildly modded engines. good luck. if you have any questions on jetting, or other kinds of questions about the blaster just let me know

Old 11-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

how do you eliminate the oil injection system?

Old 11-16-2003, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

also what is the all around best performance pipe and silencer for low end and high end. Thanks much

Old 11-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

if you want good affordable power i would go with a .20 Vitos Super Stock, get a Vitos degree key, get the oil injection block off, about a 30mm carb, VForce reeds and you will have it.

if ur not on a budget get a 240 kit (i recomend Vito's or CT) around a 34mm carb VForce reeds a Degree key and block off the oil injection.

either way it will really wake it up.

Old 11-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

to eliminate oil injection, you simply take out the tank and pump assembly, and plug off the lines vitos has a kit with everything you need. then just start premixing

Old 11-16-2003, 09:22 PM
Range Rover

Degree key first, then get the head rechambered, add porting if you more power afterthat.

Old 11-16-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

speaking of jetting, what would be a good place to start with?

mods: trinity pipes, K&N filter, no lid
elevation: a couple hundred feet above sea level
temp: right now it is in the 40's
trinity sent a 280 main, but i know from experience that with 4 stroke pipes, the companies recommend jets that are too big and it kills the performance. the only 4 stroke company that i have delt with that recommends a small enough jet is curtis sparks. however, his products are not cheap!!

Quick Reply: building a blaster??