Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what does it take to hook up a nitrous system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does it take to hook up a nitrous system?

I have been trying to find someone to put a large displacement street bike motor in my raptor but so far i have had no luck so my next choice is a good quality nitrous system so i would like to hear more about what it takes to install them and just exactly how they work.Would my jetting be affected and would i need to run a closed air box?My next question is how much does the nitrous cost and how do you control the time that it is on?As you can tell i am not familiar with the way nitrous works other than i know it gives an instant boost of horsepower so i need to ask some basic questions.Where do you get a bottle filled up once you empty it,and what is the difference between a dry system and a wet one?If anyone has experience with what it takes to make a nitrous system work (PROPERLY) please fill me in because i am thinking that this may be the most cost effective way to gain power for drag racing simply because it can be turned on and off at will.As a gauge of what i can expect for a performance gain i can tell you that my raptor will run right with the yfzs even when they are piped or at least it will run with most of them so with that in mind i would expect to have a very good performer with the addition of nitrous.My last question is would a nitrous system be useful in a 300 foot sand drag race or would it take longer to be an advantage?Any and all opinions will be appreciated.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

www.nitrousexpress.com for best performance
www.boondockers.com for most reliablility

Talk to wallstreet he has a nice system and is very familiar with NO2... A good kit will run you 400+ , henderson racing at ebay sells NX kits for 300-450. You can expect up to a 10-20 hp boost at push of button. but more hp means bigger shot of NO2 and more NO2 can really be hard on the motor. If im wrong on any of these someone please correct me so i will know in future. Thanks lol

Travis

Old 11-18-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know a whole lot about this topic but I would think that if you want a reliable system I would get a wet system.........(N02 and fuel injected)
if you get a dry system you take (NO2 injected) you take a chance of burning up your motor if not jetted rich enough.......
and if it is jetted high enough for a big shot of nos..........I don't think it would run very strong without it..........seems like it would be really fat.........

if wallstreet doesn't chime in you need to pm him about this topic..........he is running a nitrous rappy........

Old 11-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A buddy of mine just got the kit and he said it took him about 3 to 4 hours to install it but then after the first ride a few things broke loose so then he had to build better brackets for the switch and hoses. He gets to test it out this Thanksgiving at Dumont.

Old 11-19-2003, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

If the system is properly installed by a competent mechanic i would think that it should function for a long time with no problems or am i wrong?Could someone elaborate on problems they have encountered while running a nitrous system.The one thing that i would really like to hear is how someone has been running nitrous for quite some time with little or no negative results.As i said before i know next to nothing about nitrous but it would seem to me that short bursts of power brought on by a shot of nitrous should not be too hard on the motor.What kind of compression should one have to get the best results ,i am now running 11:1.I am going to keep throwing these questions out so that i can be as informed as possible if and when i go with a nitrous set up so feel free to share what you know.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

Just curious, do you already the streetbike engine? I recently finished putting an old gt750 engine(3cyl 2 stroke) into a 90 model suzuki q-sport 250 frame.Well almost finished, gonna tear it back down this winter and finish the frame, swingarm, and other metel bits and pieces with paint, powdercoating, and/or crome. Anyways, if you do have an engine I may be interested in purchasing it. I guess I got the drag bug now, and banshees are everywhere I go. I like to be different, lol. Besides that I am a cheap azz. Grand total minus paint for this project=$1200.
This includes- 2 gt750 engines, 1 90 q-sport rolling frame, 03 yellow z400 plastic, tank, and seat, all of my different sprockets, chains, 3 250r chambers, all the metal for brackets and mounts, material to build a 10" extended swingarm, new bearings for the entire frame, and a new seat cover to match the bike.
Try to build a banshee in the 70-80 hp range for 1200.
Now its time to move up, lol. I want to try something in the 900 plus range but newer and a four stroke.
Well let me know, thanks, Patrick

Old 11-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorOwner
A buddy of mine just got the kit and he said it took him about 3 to 4 hours to install it but then after the first ride a few things broke loose so then he had to build better brackets for the switch and hoses. He gets to test it out this Thanksgiving at Dumont.
What engine work has your buddy done? 686? 727?

What day will he be there?

Old 11-19-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

I just sold my NX system today, but it costed me over 600 with purge, extra bottle, pressure gauge, etc. It's not that hard once you get the idea, but it is kinda hard if you don't know what your doing. NX has a wiring diagram on there website. There is 2 wires comming out of each solenoid (wet system) I THINK it's positive wires on each solenoid to green wire on relay, black wire on relay to battery, red wire on relay to arming switch, and white wire on relay to ground. Then the other wire comes off arming switch to microswitch power, and ground goes to battery or something. then there's the fuel pump, but you got the main idea.