Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What does jetted mean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does jetted mean?

I am looking to buy a 2003 Blaster that is piped and jetted, but I don't know what jetted means, can anyone please help? Is this good or bad for the quad, will it hurt the engine life of the quad? Please e-mail me at bobjones112002@yahoo.com ASAP

THANK YOU

Old 11-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

All it means is that the carb has a larger jet to keep up with increased airflow. I dunno why people list it as a mod when all it is is a requirement for running right.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Jets are in the carburetor and are very small hollow cylinders which fuel flows through (best way i can describe them).... Jets need to be changed every time intake and exhaust are changed and dramatic changes in elevation. All In my opinion of course! They can determine how your quad runs, they are also very sensitive to changes in temp, elevation. do a search in the forums. Every quad has jets except the EFI kinds.

WELCOME TO THE CONNECTION
Travis

Old 11-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

So jetting is something that just makes the quad faster? I still don't understand the whole jetting thing, so if anyone has anything else to say about it please post. The quad I am looking to buy is piped and jetted with FMF pipe and thats as much as I know right now. How can I tell if the jetting isn't good. Will I ever need to replace it if I plan on keeping the quad in the same elevation and just riding in trails? Would you suggest buying a blaster that is already piped and jetted or do it when you buy one?

Old 11-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

read this and you should learn quite a bit....Carbs

Old 11-19-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Jetting doesnt make your quad faster it just makes it run correctly. Adding mods to your quad like a exhaust or k&n allows a larger amount of air flow and the carb needs to be jetted larger to allow more fuel to be added so your not running lean, which will cause motor damage. Any time you change anything with you quad that has to do with performence your jetting should be adjusted to

Old 11-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Jetting CAN make a quad faster but it only does so by tunign the carburetor to your current modifications. alot of people dont understand jetting and thats why alot get bad performance from their quad. if the jetting isnt good it will bog out and wont take off right and the exhaust can make a poping sound when you let off the gas. If you get the jetting right and stay at the same elevation you wont ever have to change it unless you put a K&N air filter on it or take the airbox lid off. I would rather buy a used blaster with some modifications done to it. Its cheaper in a way but if the previous owned mistreated it the quad will show signs later down the road. before you buy it test ride it GOOD. Dont trash the quad just make sure brakes work good, clutch works good and make sure your happy with all around performance. Hope im helping

Travis

Old 11-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

One thing I do understand about jetting is that if you own a Raptor like me it is a pain the @ss to do.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

jetted means that the carb is set up properly for the exhaust or intake mods the motor has. you can tell if the jetting is off by looking at the spark plug. If the spark plug is black the jetting is rich. rich meaning that there is too much fuel being supplied to the motor. If the jetting is lean the spark plug will be white. Lean meaning not enough fuel is being supplied to the motor. Chances are that if you are buying the bike locally no jetting changes will be required. You don't have to replace jets if you don't make any large altitude changes.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

Here man, i'll help you out. The jet is a small screw in the carburetor that controls how much gas is being let into the engine. When you modify an engine, like putting a high flow air filter or a better exhaust system, you have to increase the jet size to compensate for the higher airflow. The jet is something that is always there and when someone says thier quad is jetted it just means that they changed the jet size for some reason. If you don't know how a carburetor works, than it is kinda hard to undestand what a jet is and what it does.

Here's a address to a website that shows how a carbuerator works, it's a pretty cool website.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question377.htm

Quick Reply: What does jetted mean?