Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What to buy Kodiak, Warrior or?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2000, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the ATV world and need some help. I'm like everyone else, I want the ATV that is best at everything. I'm also living in the real world and realize that is probably not possible. The more I learn the harder the decision gets. Most of the dealers don't seem to know what they are talking about so your input is greatly appreciated.

Here is what I do know. I live in Phoenix so realistically I will probably be riding in open desert and trails up North. I don't know if I will be doing much mud bogging or stream wading, but you never know. I really don't need a utility vehicle and I don't want full time 4wd. My wife likes the Kodiak 4x4 and after reading about it is seems like a pretty good all round ATV. I was originally looking at the Warrior but am know leaning towards the Kodiak myself. Will I be happy with Kodiaks or should I be looking at something else?

Old 06-20-2000, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

well here's my take on it. I was convinced that I wanted to get rid of my warrior. No one but me likes to ride it, so when we hit the mud and hills, the hondas are a boat load of fun and a lot of the time the Yama sits there. Well last weekend we went to a new place that had all kinds of terrain. I road the rancher, recon and warrior several times each. I'm keeping the warrior. They are so much fun to ride. If it weren't for the low ground clearance on the skid plate, it will climb just about anything. And when you get to the top of what ever you just climb, you just fly out of the jump without worrying. Then you go out and haul butt on a track if you like. Its not the fastest or the best but it is good. It's so much fun and hi-erformance(compared to the yewt's) that I can't stand to part with it. If you wife has a Yewt get a Warrior then you can have both.

Old 06-20-2000, 03:43 PM
Range Rover

I too have a warrior and swear its cant do anything a 4x4 cand do and better with the exeption of deep mod boggs or snow. The warrior is lighter so you can go through some rear fender deep water if you stay on the throttle. Plus the warrior is a great first time performance bike. With a pipe kit from Dg and a K&n jet kit and filter it will staight up haul *** and blow that Kodiak away. If your going to use it for work- Kodiak for recreation-Warrior. I hit a 10ft high jump that throws you 35ft to the landing ramp on stock shocks if you hit it just right it won't bottom out. I had it for 2 years and am ready to step up another performance notch and I put a down payment on a Raptor. I'll be selling my Yamaha for another Yamaha wish I could keep them both. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2000, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 98 warrior with lots of mods and in the woods the warrior hauls *** exspecially in the wide open trails and on the course like others said it is not the fastest or the best on the track but it will keep up and it hits the jumps nice and with some mods and jetting the warrior will haul *** and go through anything....!!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2000, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Warrior.....need I say more? By the way, if ya ever need to know of some good riding up in Flag, just tell me

Old 06-21-2000, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

well i was gonna say the wolverine cause it was everything u wanted untill u got to the part of u didnt want all time 4x4 but the all time 4x4 isnt that bad unless u want to do donuts and that tears up your tires after a while

i can do everything my friends can do on their 2x4 quads and i have a wolverine i can swing the rearend around so u can make it turn sharper once u practice alittle bit.
the wolverine i think would be good for u its fast good at trails comfortable and can go through mud
everyone else is saying the warror but the wolverine is a warrior it just has the 4x4 system in it basically

Old 06-22-2000, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

but you left out one thing. If you do a lot of tight trails where the edge of the trail is 2 or more feet high. 4x4 gives you a lot of problems. It's certainly easier on a 4x2. Just a thought.

Old 06-22-2000, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

One word..........KODIAK. I can't remember if it was Dirt Wheels or 4 Wheel ATV action that made the Kodiak runner up to the DS-650 for quad of the year. In my opinion it should have one, but we all know about how these magazines are.

My next quad will be a 2001 Kodiak

Old 06-22-2000, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

I'm gonna throw in another vote for the Warrior. You said sand and a Warrior can really tear that up with the right tires. Mud and water are definately not a problem except for the clutch and that low ground clearence. It's just fun to ride. Of course if it's for working on a farm or something like that, I'd look elsewhere. But you're looking for recreation right?

Old 06-23-2000, 01:09 AM
Trailblazer

Dave, I live in the Phoenix area also and went through the same decision making process. I bought the Kodiak 4 x 2. I would highly recommend it for the type of riding you want to do. The 4 x 2 is about $800 bucks less than the 4 x 4, is less complex and has a lighter front end. It feels like a sport machine but it has utility features. It goes anywhere, not a mud bogger, but you'd be suprised how it can pass heavier machines (4 x 4) that get stuck because of their weight. None of my friends who I ride with have 4 x 4s, you don't need them, even up north by Payson and Flag. And I think your wife would like this machine because you just push the throttle and go--no shifting! And this bike is great for sliding and just having a good time. I love mine--no problems.
fpilot

Quick Reply: What to buy Kodiak, Warrior or?