Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Proper break in for a YFZ450

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper break in for a YFZ450

what were you guys tought/told on proper break in for a 450?

i was told to get in a good 5 hrs of riding or 2 tanks of gas before i really get on it.

i need to do all this before i leave for glamis on wed and i've got about 3 hrs on it so far.

any help?

thanks.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Break it in like your gonna ride it!!

I have always broke my new machines in on the drag strip,and I have never had a problem yet. Just make sure you bring the engine up to "operating temp" before you go banging gears.

Bigger.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

Last time I did that i pulled my jug off and to look at it and NOT GOOD. Marks all up and downthe sleave. the average break in is...

1-let it idle for 20 minets (untill its good and warm) turn off. let cool down.
2- put it in gear and ride it around. Give it no more than 1/4 throttle.
3- then go to 1/3 throttle
4-then go to half throttle
5- then go to 3/4
6 then go all out.

By the way its good to be a little rich during break in so it dosent get to hott.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, I knew my way would not be the most popular.

But if you read your owners manual it says to warm up the quad good, then ride it "normal" but DO NOT ride it at a constant speed , but rather run through the gears at a rapid past and then repeat proccess. The drag races is a perfect example of this procces IMHO. You warm the engine up to operating temperature, then RUN IT!! through the a drag race, you are constantly accelerating and putting the engine in a"LOAD" and then decelerating and then Repeat. After about 6-7 good passes(one right after another) let it idle for a minute, and then shut it off for 30 mins. and start all over.

KNow you dont have to PEG the rev limiter and pop the clutch type of drag racing, but be diliberate!

Good luck.

Bigger.

Old 11-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer

ok im gonna need more than this.
you guys are contradicting eachother and it doesnt help that much. though the dragstrip thing doesnt seem sensible.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

I for one, have always broken my new bikes (or freshly rebuilt ones) very slowly. I have had very good luck this way. The owners manual for the YFZ says 20 hrs for proper break in I believe!! Been a while since I read it though.... I rode mine half throttle for a tank and let it cool between the 20-30 minute rides. After a tank, tank and a half, I let it fly......Good luck with whatever you try!!!

Also, you can do a search for the topic and there are other posts like yours that you can read up on..

Late,

PH

Old 11-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Let it warm up properly and find some nice open areas to cruise around in. Really doesn't matter what gear you use, just don't crack the throttle wide open yet. If anything, run a gear high and lug the engine a little, breaks it in real well. Do this for about an hour. And yes, make sure you vary your speeds and revs, don't maintain constant throttle. In the second hour, do some quick short bursts to get the engine used to some bursts. Continue all this till you use up your first tank of gas. Run a second tank, still taking it fairly easy, but riding more agressively. The last 30min on the second tank...go to town...i.e. ride it like you stole it. Get another hour or so in of normal riding that you do. Then do a break-in oil and filter change just incase you have small production metal flaking. Then all should be well...ride and enjoy the power bet. your legs!

Old 11-25-2003, 06:39 AM
Pro Rider

G'day guys,
I do it like this http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Geoff.

Old 12-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

Drive it like you stole it!!! That's how I broke mine in, it sets all the engine parts for the normal abuse your going to put it threw.

Old 12-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd Ride it normal until going threw 3 tanks of gas, then change the oil and maybe tranny fluid. That's how I broke the Beartracker in.

Quick Reply: Proper break in for a YFZ450