Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine rear brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine rear brake problems

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I am a little more optimistic today, I just got so pissed off over the axle and caliper. I am used to working on stuff, but I am also used to buying stuff that doesn't need as much work. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I will keep it and work on it until summer. I am paying my cousin $1000.00 for the Wolvy, and I figure if I have to put another $500.00 to $800.00 in it, it will be a good deal. Outside of that, or if it costs me anymore, I will probably sell it. I am still concerned over the front end "Clunk". I found a place in Canada that will rebuild my halfshafts for $150.00 each. If it is the CV joints, that is the route I will probably go. Anyone know of a place to get rear calipers cheap?

Old 11-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Man $1000 is a great deal for a Wolvy even if ya have to replace both CV axles and the cailiper you will still be money ahead. When you want your money back let me know. What happened to your caliper? Lotus said that those calipers came on a lot of motorcycles. I never knew that, haven't been around to many Jap bikes. He also said Suzuki used those calipers on their LTs may check with them. I know Yammy wants like $250 for one.

Old 11-30-2003, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is a new caliper needed? A new piston is about $40, rebuild kit is a few bucks more. Unless there is a stripped out bleeder screw or such, why not just rebuild the one you have?

Old 11-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

Well.. The caliper has a problem. The pins that the caliper slides on are locked up. I tried to get the slider unscrewed, but I stripped out the allen hole. It is at a machine shop right now to see if the guy can slot it or something to try and get it apart. If he can, I will clean up the pins and be good to go. If not, I will find a replacement. I appreciate the respnses from everyone, and I gotta tell you, it's made the difference in me keeping the Wolvy versus giving it back. I am used to working on street bikes. I ride a Ninja ZX-6E when I can, and that thing is a breeze to work on.

Old 11-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

My caliper slides were seized, too, allen head ripped out. My solution was to weld a nut on the end of the slide and use an impact gun on it. Came right out that way. The slide is junk anyway, so why not. A new slide is inexpensive, along with the 2 seals, less than 20 bucks.

Old 11-30-2003, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer

Where did you get your replacement parts? That sounds like a good idea about welding on a nut!

Old 11-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

As I said in my post above, they are Suzuki parts. I went to my Yammy dealer and tried to buy them, they are not serviced by Yamaha. But the parts guy cross matched them to Suzuki, who do service them. I am thinking 250 quadracer, but as I said, that Nisin caliper was used on a lot of other (sport) quads.

Old 11-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the Suzuki tip there Lotus. The local Zuki shop is alot easier to deal with the Yammy dealer.

Old 11-30-2003, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your help Lotus, I appreciate it!

Old 12-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

Update: Axle and caliper are back from the machine shop. My wallet is $60.00 lighter, but I'll live. The axle is fixed, and he got the pins out of the caliper. I brought it all home, and I cleaned all of the caliper parts real good, and re-assembled with lots of grease. Everything slides real nice now. I am planning on assembling everything tomorrow evening. Hopefully everything will go well. Thanks again to everyone for the help and words of encouragement.

Quick Reply: Wolverine rear brake problems