Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Product Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2000, 04:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Y2K Yamaha GrizZ
Warn Yamaha winch
Well i wanted a winch and all the dealer had in stock was the Yamaha branded one. So i lubed up and put out the extra cash. I figured "well at least i will get good instructions on the instalation". The winch mount was great very detailed instructions on what to do even came with spacers if needed. It all bolted up as stated. At this point im thinking COOL just need to run the wires and im all done. NOOOOOOOTTTTTT when it comes to the wireing they just tell you what the wires hook to on the winch, silanoid and switch. Not a single mention of where you might mount them or how to run the wires. You even needed a test light to find a hot wire when the key is on. Now first off let me tell you im a mechanic by trade so im no idiot BUT what a pain in the A** . Yes i got the wires run fine yes it works great and yes i could have saved $200.00 by getting a winch without a yamaha sticker on it. So what im trying to say is that if you have a choice dont get the yamaha labled one because their is no benefit (besides a cool yamaha sticker on the winch). I also got the Warn winch accesory kit list was like 130.00 i payed 75.00 got a snach block, tow rope, little loop thingy, and a tote bag. Probubly could buy them all anywhere else for about 50.00 So the moral of the story is DONT pay for a factory name on an aftermarket accesory unless you have to and if it is a winch what you save on a warn brand will pay for a Yamaha tech instalation. Dont get me wrong im happy with my purchase but it is not what i expected.

Old 06-20-2000, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why DID you buy the "designer" winch, Yama?

Did you ask the dealer for technical advice on where the wires went?

Regardless, you installed a good product and I'm glad everything's working fine for you now. Even going through the ordeal you mention, you're much better off with a winch than without one. Enjoy it!

Tree Farmer

P.S. I award you extra credit for the foresight to buy a ****** block!

T.F.

Old 06-20-2000, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

Trust me farmer i knew it was a bad deal but i wanted it and no one had the regular warn model.
It really boils down to a patience problem. I GOT
NONE hehehehe

Yama
00 Kodiak
00 Grizzly
00 Toyota Tundra

Old 06-22-2000, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

I also have the designer (yamaha) winch, LOL

Luckly I negotiated it into the deal so I really didn't have to fork out extra cash for it.

But I agree the wiring was a mind bogling experience.

How did you end up doing it. I tapped into some tiny red wire right next to the storage box right hand side for a hot lead. then ran the big black wires allong the frame and wire tied them as I went along. Then I came up through the front of the steering colum to my front rack. I could have made it look alittle nicer if I would have drilled some holes right under my switch but just didn't want to drill into my new machine.

Sorry to run on like this.

Anyway. You have a good product in the end.

I have used mine 3 times allready. Works great

Old 06-25-2000, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer

I mounted my solenoid right behind my batt. box. Its out of the way and protected. You do have to flatten the wings somewhat to get the extra clearance. My toggle switch is mounted to the left, on the insterment consol(side)the only place I could think of. And yes ... the wireing is a pain. I shortened a few wires just to make things neat.If you know anyone who is looking for a Warn A2000 winch I've got one brand new for $250