Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Member with a Wolverine Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with a Wolverine Question

Hi guys (and gals)! I'm new to this forum and just purchased a 2004 Wolverine. I only have about a hour on it so far and have noticed that my cam chain is starting to make some noise. It rattles at idle and up to about 2500 RPM. I've owned motorcycles most of my life and know that there is an adjuster for the automatic cam chain tensioner, however I don't know if I should mess with it yet or not. Has anyone had similar experiences with a new motor and if so do you know the procedure for the adjustment? I'll probably call the dealer tomorrow about it but hate to take it in for a simple adjustment. Or should I just wait until the motor is broken in further? Thanks for your help in advance!

Old 11-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome! As far as I know there is no adjustment on the cam-timing chain. It does have a tensioner(spelling) but it doesn't have any adjustment. I'd let my dealer check it. Especialy since its brand new. Mine had a rattle but it was the valves needing adjusted.

Old 12-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply! The noise I'm hearing doesn't really sound like the valves. It's more like a "marble rattling" sound that appears to be coming from the crankcase on the cam chain side. Maybe it's nothing but it just started making the noise last night. Time constraints are going to prevent me from getting back to the dealer for a couple of weeks. In the mean time I'll continue to break it in and see if the noise goes away. Thanks again