Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A little tight or a little loose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little tight or a little loose?

I've had the tank and plastic off a few times and you're right, it gets easier every time. So are you saying that is the most difficult part to adjusting your valves? The rest of the proceedure is that simple?

Old 12-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

I think it is. Yamaha has an excellent system for adjusting their valves using a tappet screw and locking nut rather than troublesome shims like some other brands. Its as simple as backing off the nut, screwing the tappet in or out to accomodate the right size feeler guage, and retightening the nut. It's easy, just be patient and get it exact.

~HoundDog

Old 12-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I've done it already, its real easy. I used to do it on my Crf450.....now you want to have some fun sometime(you guys who are getting the new trx's too) adjust the valves on those motors. With the single overhead cam the exhaust valves still use the normal "arms", but the intake valves run off the cam lobes themselves. Both intake and exhaust use a "bucket" and shim design. Basically you have to take measurement of the current condition (tight/ loose) and do some math to figure out what shims are needed to reach the appropriate clearances. Then you have to remove the valve cover, remove the cam, pull off the "buckets" from the tops of the valve springs, and remove the old shim and insert the proper one. Put it all back together, measure, and hope you have it right. If not?.........start the whole process over again. Lots of fun stuff. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Raptors are cake walk, I locknut and an adjustment screw. Piece o' cake. Just use the manual/raptortranny.com page, take your time, and you'll be proud of yourself when your done. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey thanks guys, that sounds easy enough. I'm sure mine is due so I think I'll give it a go this weekend if the wife will grant some "me" time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Just got done with mine, it wasnt that hard....I didnt even touch the exhaust valves since people say the intakes are the ones that go out of adjustment. Just with that adjustment, it made a HUGE difference. I will try to keep my valves adjusted more often because this is power I didnt have before!!! I also jetted up to 160/165 DJs and it seems perfect. did another plug pull and its perfectly tan! Thanks for your help guys!!!