Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A little tight or a little loose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little tight or a little loose?

Im adjusting my valves and MAN ARE THEY TIGHT! had to turn the adjuster screw out like 3-4 turns out. Is it best to keep the valves a biit loose or a bit tight? Thanks guys!

Old 12-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

Neither - right on should always be the goal.

From what I understand, too tight prematurely wears the head (valve seats) and too loose can have a similar impact on the valve train due to the valves "slapping". I do my best to get them right on but usually err on the loose side.

I know that if the intakes are tight it can encourage backfire and blown carb boots. The intake valves are still open a touch at point of combustion causing "backfire" into the carb.

I adjust mine quite often and it seems the intakes are always snug and the exhaust remain adjusted.

Old 12-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

3-4 turns is way too much sounds like to me, are you sure you have the piston at the top dead center position?? Did you follow the manuals instructions??

Old 12-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

It's not unusual to have to let the intakes way out, especially if this is the first time you have adjusted them in a while. All water cooled engines tend to have their intake valves tighten over time but the raptor magnifies this "event". Keep a close eye on your valves.

~HoundDog

Old 12-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

3-4 turns is way too much sounds like to me, are you sure you have the piston at the top dead center position?? Did you follow the manuals instructions??
Got it at TDC on the intake stroke, saw the little "I" mark and lingned it up with the mark on the case. I was amazed at how tight the valves where. I had never adjusted them after I had the dealer do the first service. This the first time I adjust valves on a raptor, but I have done it on my dad's 429 with solid lifters. I followed the manual's instructions as well as the instructions on raptortranny.com How often do you guys adjust your valves? Last time mine where adjusted was back in Jan-Feb 03.

Old 12-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

I adjust mine every other oil change with comes to about once every 45-60 days.

~HoundDog

Old 12-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

damn, that sure is often, you think I couldve hurt something?

Old 12-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

How difficult is this to do? I mean for a weekend warrior like myself. How long does it typically take?

I've done simple things like jetting but I haven't gotten into the engine....yet.

Old 12-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

It's pretty quick once ya do it a couple times. At first it'll feel like a pain to remove the plastic and tank but it's not bad - well worth it. Moving at a normal pace I can do it in about 1/2 hour (or two beers). It's a good excuse to poke around in there where ya normally cant see to make sure other stuff is OK like wiring, carb boots, etc.....

I check mine whenever I have the tank off or about every 300 miles or before any high revving trips like a race or big dune trip.

Old 12-04-2003, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Fisher said it exactly. Once you get used to it, taking the tank and plastic off is a breeze. I can do the whole job in ~30 min.

~HoundDog

Quick Reply: A little tight or a little loose?