Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Do you let your kids ride unsupervised??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 01:19 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you let your kids ride unsupervised??

Thinking back, I was riding dirt bike SOLO in Baja when I was 13 (circa 1965). I would just ride out a half-tank of gas, then turn around and ride back. Never took any water. No tools. No spare tubes (why take a tube when you don't have any way to air it up?). Didn't even wear a helmet as I recall. Gloves? No way. NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM OF ANY KIND. OK, I did almost set the place on fire once because of no spark arrestor. Ah, those were the days!!!!

To be old and wise, you first must be young and stupid!!!

Old 12-06-2003, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL

Old 12-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Little Box is 6yrs old and has been riding an LT-80 for one and a half years. He started riding a LT-50 at age two and a half and is a very good rider. Medium Box is 11yrs old and started on the LT-50 at age 5. He doesn't ride much, but is very careful and responsible. I never let either get out of my sight and they know that the helmet goes on before we even crank the quad. I am over-protective with my boys, but I know how I was growing up![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Mark, there isn't a big power difference in a 250EX and a stock rappie is there???? LOL I don't know if that would be considered praise for the 250 or a whack on the rappie!!! No....I know what I am doing. I graduated from 14mins 101 with honors!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

well i wen i got my first bike (1975 Honda Z50) i was only allowed to ride it around the yard, which then got extended to our lil field(prolly cuz i was startin to wear a trail in the grass[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]) in the pasture and in the bush if my bro was wit me, then i got my second bike (1983 Yamaha YZ80) and once i got used to it i could ride in my uncles fields(if it was ok wit him ie:not planted) and through the bush, basically close enough for them to hear me, and then i got my first quad (1984 Suzuki LT185) i could basically go anywhere somewhat close to home, now wit my current quad the rules are still stay around here, but now i usually carry a cell phone just in case if i'm going more then a lil distance or if its running funny,

and as for your son, i'd say go for a ride wit him and his friends, see how they ride and wat they're willing to try, some kids arent willin to do some things(ie tall hill climbs), i know i was at first, not much stoppin me now, lol, and i've had some crashes, but i've always gotten myself home, weither it was pushin my 80 wit a chunk takin outta my leg from the footpeg or ridin the ds home wit a torn leg muscles

Old 12-06-2003, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

My son is almost 15 and I've taught him to the best of my ability to ride as safely and properly as I can. That being said, he does ride a Blaster that is modified mildly and he has about 8 -10 friends he rides with regularly that he won't be outdone by within reason. I ride with him on a regular basis and feel that his ability is pretty advanced compared to some adults I've had the pleasure...not, to ride with.
He is agile, seems to always have control even when getting a little hairy, and to make a long story short I trust him completely to ride outside my presence. It's only a few months and he'll be driving a car that will have far more power and chance of danger than I feel he is experiencing now, so if I can not trust I've taught him well enough to be trusted to know his limits now, how will I ever trust him to drive a car?

Old 12-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

im 14 and ride all the time with my buddys with no supervision but the again ive been riding for a very long time

Old 12-06-2003, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Back in the day...1800s when I was young untill I was 13-14 I couldn't leave sight of the house. No public road went by so it was fairly safe. After that I was allowed to ride basicly any where I wanted. I had been riding since I was 5-6 and my parents were confident in my riding ability. We do live in a fairly rural area. Now there is quit a bit more traffic in our area and I wouldn't want the younger kids riding on the one lane road (holler if your a hillbilly). My stepson or ex stepson has been riding my Wolvy for a few years now. When he was like 14 we wouldn't let him ride anywhere burt around close without supervision. But now he's like 18 and I am cofident in his ability so I let him ride where he wants. He's a good kid doesn't do any drugs or drink. There quite a lot of that around this area but he doesn't partake. So I trust him to ride where ever he wants, even though me and his mom, my girlfreind, broke up. It doesn't change things between me and him.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

i have been riding quads, dirtbikes, and snowmobiles since i was 4 years old. long story short i was riding a midrange ported quadzilla at the age of 14! i guess i had the knack but i did get some bumps and bruises!

i have a 7 month old daughter and i cant wait till she gets to be 4 or 5 years of age so i can show her the ropes! i will have her seat belted in , tied down and a doggy leash on the grab bar of course! LOL.... i guess it all depends on the child and how they act with there quad... maybe it just takes one ride of trust around 12 or 13 with his/her friends and just stand back and watch to see how it goes down... each kid is different so you gotta just let them go .....then set the boundaries!

Old 12-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

You have to ask yourself the question, if something bad was to happened, could I live with myself?

Old 12-07-2003, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Babycakes...ya can't go thru life wondering what if this or that happens...The kids have to grow up sometime... Statistics show your more likely to be killed in an auto accident than anything else...Is anybody afraid or worried about getting in a car....NO

Quick Reply: Do you let your kids ride unsupervised??