Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee or Raptor ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee or Raptor ..

Originally posted by: caliraptor
I went for the raptor because its a 4 stroke (less maintenance)
ROFLMAO!

Old 12-11-2003, 08:52 PM
cop
Pro Rider

Mr 45auto, We must stop our joking around and kidding each other about our quads because Gary doesn't like it when people talk trash and kid each other about who is faster or what machine is better. Even though everything said is all in good fun some people object to it. If you want I guess we have to just PM each other so we don't get gary upset.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 PM
cop
Pro Rider

Yamaharideronly, When my DS was completely stock I hit a top speed of 77.8mph according to my Garmin gps and a stalker radar (my buddies, uses it for auto drag racing) on pavement at a race track. I was tapped out and pinging the rev limiter in 5th gear.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:07 PM
cop
Pro Rider

Mr 45auto, I reread your post and I must state that I never said I beat a banshee that was majorly modded. I have beaten lightly modded banshees and stock ones, but a built banshee is a differen't beast all together. The rwr stage 3 DS did however beat them in th 300ft drags on grass. The stage 3 DS won the whole event by about two quad lengths. It was just a rocket off of the line. I do believe that the banshees had a higher top speed and probabally would have caught the DS at about the 500ft mark if the race was that long. But who knows? They might only be geared for the short race.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

My Raptor is hitting 77.1 and its Completely Stock. I know that every Quad runs different. I have 2 other buddys that have Raptors and one is Stock and the other has a ProCircuit T4 Pipe and I can Still beat it. The stock Raptor can go in between 73 to 80 Not every Quad will run the same. Just like with a DS I bet there are some stock ones that will only do 75 73 whatever. I must of got a Fast Raptor and you must of got a Fast DS But every DS that I have Raced I beat. Only think that got me on Top End so far was a Stock Banshee. I have out run some Stock ones but that one was a fast one. Not saying you quad does it but everythink runs different. DS Raptor Banshee even the Predator I bet are all around the Same Stock.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Cop I'd love to have a DS myself. I'm more likely to buy a Banshee though just because more folks run em and they can be made to run hard cheaper than the DS. I will admit to having my butt handed to me by a DS before and I'd love to try one of the new ones on the dunes. Maybe I'll get lucky and meet a DS rider who wants some seat time on a 686 and will reciprocate.... Any local DS riders hear that?...... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2003, 09:29 PM
cop
Pro Rider

yamaharider, Your raptor is a bit faster than most, congrats on a good one. My point was that a raptor is geared correctly for the power of the motor and the DS is purposely undergeared for speed purposes. If you put a +1 sprocket on the front of your Raptor you would have difficulty pulling that gearing in top gear as fast as you could pull it w/ the stock set up. The DS on the other hand needs to be geared correctly after purchase to run the way the motor puts out power. With stock gearing the DS gets the reputation of only having a mid range powerband. Go to a +1 front sprocket and the DS powerband feels totally different. The DS also has an annoying problem with the stock rev limiter, It is way to low and needs to be replaced in my opinion.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:31 PM
cop
Pro Rider

45auto come to my area, I know a ton of people that would love some time on a 686, myself included!

Old 12-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thats True Cop, Raptor comes Stock with a 13 40 gearing and I tried to run a 14 40 gearing with my Stock Raptor and it made my Top speed even slower. Mid range and everything else was even slower to. It was doing only 72 and with the stock gearing it was doing 77.1 The dealer said the Raptor doesnt have enough power to pull a higher gearing. They said put a pipe and K&N and then jet it and then it will easily pull the higher gearing. Over all I think the DS has slightly Higher Top Speed and that but I like the looks of the Raptor and How it rides kinda better. Thats what I like the Yamaha Fan

Old 12-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Somebody told me that is was the fastest quad and it was newer than my friends 400ex and also I was scared of the banshee I had before because i couldn't beat my friend on his 400EX, (I still can not ride my raptor very well since I don't want to wear it out)

Quick Reply: Banshee or Raptor ..