Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior matinence

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2000, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) how tight do you make the chain? and I was told you tighten it with wieght on the seat, is this true?
2) how often do you change the oil (hrs)?
3) I've been told there is no oil filter, only a metal screen which you clean, is this true? should the screen be replaced?
4) how do you know how much to re-jet the carb for performance mods such as holes in air box and pipes? how do I tell if it needs it now with no mods?
5) my warrior came with a Uni air fiter, it has a foam pre filter as well, can this filter be cleaned? how and how often?
6) what kind of pipe/silencer should I get?
7) anything else that should be done or I should look out for?
8) thanks for your help and time, I just got my warrior and wanna make sure it is gonna run strong for a long time

Old 06-21-2000, 11:05 PM
Range Rover

I own a modified 99 warrior and can answer all your questions.
1. You want to have about a inch to inch and a quarter of chain play. Make sure you loosen the two large axle bearing bolts before tightening the two adjuster bolts. 17mm 10mm 11mm 12mm
2/3. If you ride hard like I dochange oil once a month. Take out oil pan nut watch out don't loose the o-ring spring and screen and remove oil filter on side of engine. Need metric hex wrench. Clean all parts with solvent then wash with water and let air dry. Clean all metal shavings out of the area inside engine where the oil filter goes. Replaced all parts carefully. It will take almost 3 full quarts of motorcycle oil. Don't need to replace screen.
4. Because you live in the upper north east you will want to get the K&N filter/jet kit with outerwear. Tell you dealer you want a stage one with the airbox lid on and they'll do the rest. This will prolong the health of your bike. Especially if you like mud and water riding so keep lid on. Of course you need a pipe when you jet it so go with the DG kromlight complete kit including chrome header pipe and sparkarresstor that is forestry approved. This mod alone will totally satisfy your love for speed in the low and mid range. This will set you back a good $260 but well worth it. Trust me it sounds great too not too loud either well kinda.
5. Scrap the uni and get the lifetime K&N which comes with the jet kit including the cleaner and filter oil. Don't drill box unless you don't care about dust and dirt in your carb and engine.
6. DG aftermarket products rule including their skid plates, bumpers and grab bars all of which are on my bike and I can testify they take the abuse better then AC racing products. Go with the DG pipe kit!
7. Yes look out for the following and check all nuts and bolts regularly they all come loose no matter what bike you own.
- Axle nuts -WILL COME LOOSE GUARANTEED- buy a rad lock axle nut to stop this.
- Rear hubs will eventually come loose. Remove cotter pin and tighten.
- Get new renthal bars stock suck and will bend.
- Get a set of ITP HoleshotXCT for stability on tight turns not to mention an indestructable tire.
- Don't have to run high octane gas for good performance. Regular is sufficient. Remember its a simple four stroke.
- Make sure when engaging drive chain to rock bike making sure bike stays in drive and doesn't make that nasty grinding noise.
- When releasing parking brake make sure it pulls completely back into place or engine will miss fire to prevent from accidental brake fire.
- And as stupid as it sounds make sure the gas valve is on "on". You'll always forget this.
- Lube chain right after a ride when its still hot.

Well hope this can help you and anyone else out there with this great time tested machine. I'm moving up and already have a down payment on a Raptor. If it can top the banshee and warrior I want it. E-mail me and tell me how it goes

bschisler@aol.com

Old 06-21-2000, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

dondiesel8
Are you ready? Here we go.
1) Yes its true. Sit on it and have someone use a tiedown or rope to tie it from the axle to the grab bar to hold the position. Adjust so there is about 1 inch of free play.
2) Every 20hrs by Yamaha you shoulkd be able to go longer but dont neglect it.
3) Yes there is a brass screen filter I replaced mine everytime cheap insurance but you can wash it.
4) Re-jetting your carb is trial and error with mods others with these mods can help get you close. Your plug should be light brown in color and no hesitation anywhere to be jetted correctly.
5) Yes you can clean the filter with a parts cleaning solvent gas will also work. How often depends on riding conditions dusty=more often.
6) I had a RCM on mine and liked it but it was loud and that was years ago there are many more out now some other Warrior owners can help you there.
7) Keep everything that has a grease fitting greased. Upper A-arm bushings wear quickly you can get bronze ones their expensive but last longer. Keep the chain adjustment bolts lubricated and tight the procedure is a pain in the a$$ but try to keep it in good shape. Keep the valves adjusted this is more of a pain than it is difficult.
Ride it and enjoy. HTH

Where is Hancock, NY ?

Used to own 92 Warrior 435 kit & Works suspension plus many other mods.
Now I ride a 98 Scrambler 500.

Old 06-21-2000, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Wash your Uni-Filter with 100% mineral spirits, it won't have a negative affect on the glue at the seam as gas will. Make sure it is dry before you re oil it. Use foam filter oil on it, not oil that is for gauze filters.

Old 06-22-2000, 01:45 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, there is an oil filter. It's on the left side of the motor held in by 3 bolts. I ride in sand and water a lot so the oil has to be changed pretty frequently.

Old 06-22-2000, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

I replaced the regular washers on my two axle hub bolts with lock washers. I was out riding one day and the upper hub bolt slid out when the nut vibrated off. The sprocket arms caught it and bent it very nicely. Sheared off the head as well. My point is, try to replace regular washers with some 35-cent grade 8 lockwashers where ever it's practical. Every little bit helps.

Old 06-22-2000, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Maintence I do to my Warrior is change the oil about every month in a half. Grease the fittings on the A-Arms and Swingarm. Clean air filter every 2 months. I have a White Brothers E-Series on my Warrior. It improves the performance mainly at the top but does help out. Yes it is kind of loud but you can adjust it with the discs.

Old 06-23-2000, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

hancok NY is on RT 17, 45 minutes from binghamton, on the PA border

thanks for the great replys everyone

so far my warrior has full skidplates, nerf bars, front alum bumper and rear alum grab bar (not sure what kind any of these are), ITP wheels, Maxxis 20x11x9 Razr rear tires, stock fronts, oury grips, renthal handlebar pad (not sure it the handlebar is renthal), and a UNI filter

My wish list is a K&N filter and jet kit, and a silencer of some kind (price will be a big factor with this)

keep those replys coming please!!

Old 06-23-2000, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

dondiesel8
If you are intrested our club NYTRO (New York Trail Riders Org.) has a chapter in Nichols,NY on 17 between Binghamton and Elmira if you are interested in joining. Just a little info for ya.

98 SC 500

Old 06-24-2000, 09:02 AM
Trailblazer

I am interested, please give me some more info!!

Quick Reply: warrior matinence