Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cool head vs. milled head

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cool head vs. milled head

I took the "Cool Head" off my shee awhile go and milled my stock head. Why?? I don't know for sure really. I guess cause my buddie talked me into milling my stock head telling me I would be happier not having to deal with several parts and all the O-rings. ANYWAY, I had the face milled and the domes worked over on the stock head. The Shee seems to run every bit as strong as it did and doesn't seem to be getting any hotter. I am having some work done on my motor. Porting, and several other little things. I have been told by some to put the "Cool Head" back on and some say stay away from the " Cool Head". Several people have told me the "Cool Head" doesn't do anything more for ya than a milled head. MY QUESTIONS: Does the cool head actually cool that much better to make a difference? Does the cool head provide better performance over a stock milled head?? Please let me know. I appreciate all your input!!! Thanks

Old 12-14-2003, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

I don't know about other aftermarket heads,but the prodesign coolheads are the worst of the bunch.The don't cool your head any more than a stock one.At least the stock head directs coolant down around the cylinders.The prodesign alows the fresh coolant out without forcing it down around the cylinders.I think the trinity and noss are improved designs,but no way in hell worth 200 bones.

My friend had one, he was always having problems with leaks.He finally ditched it for a milled stocker.I never trusted those o-rings anyhow.Thats why head gaskets are made of metal and not rubber.Yea they might look cool,but how cool are you gonna look broke down on some desolate trail or in the middle of the desert.

Old 12-14-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

good point, the orings dont attract me and it doesnt seem, imo to cool as well as, lets say engine ice, or something cheaper.

Old 12-15-2003, 12:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

with cool heads you can change the domes.. that seems to be the only advantage.

Old 12-15-2003, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

for the money i would go with the stock milled head! ive ran the cool head, cpi head and the stocker milled and there wasnt a noticeable difference!

Old 12-15-2003, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

If your trying to build a hot machine on a budget its better to mill the stock head and spend the extra money on something else.

Old 12-15-2003, 08:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

my buddy has the cool head so that if he wanted he can run race fuel and have higher compression while racing.. but then when we just play around he can save cash and switch domes back to pump gas.

Old 12-15-2003, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all your guys input!! Appreciate it! Keep em comin.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Most of the seroius racers around me don't use them and perfer the sleeper look so they stay with the milled stocker and even when they use V-Force reeds they sand the off the logo flat and paint it gold like the stock reed cage.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hiram
Most of the seroius racers around me don't use them and perfer the sleeper look so they stay with the milled stocker and even when they use V-Force reeds they sand the off the logo flat and paint it gold like the stock reed cage.
So that's what a "stock" shee looks like!

Quick Reply: cool head vs. milled head