Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

450r vs raptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r vs raptor

Opinions vary...but low 70's generally is what a stocker runs.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs raptor

ud think the 450r would go faster than in the low 70s wouldnt it be cool if the 450r was a 2 stroke

Old 12-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 450r vs raptor

It may be faster than a stock Raptor on top end....I guess we will have too wait and see...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 12-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs raptor

Again........top speed is just a matter of your final drive ratio. It doesn't matter what the "top speed" is, its how fast you get there that matters. I can make a blaster go 100mph with the right gear ratio. I prefer to concern myself more with what the hp and torque numbers are.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs raptor

good point Bryan, theyre just numbers. I'm an old fart and if I get ahead of you on a trail, you wont be passing me, hehe. It's still rider, terrain, equipment, and KARMA. sounds stupid, but that sound you just heard was 50,000 MX racers over 40 going "mm hmmm" all at the same time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 450r vs raptor

You cannot simply gear a quad too go as fast as you want. The engine has too be able too PULL the gearing. This is the problem with the stock Raptor and just low 70's speed wise....a speed calculator will tell you almost ninety....which is not realistic for a stock Raptor. Resistance, total weight, high RPM power and gearing are a few of the things that greatly effect top speed.

Old 12-17-2003, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs raptor

I agree with Karma Raptor8. I'm an ex-motocrosser myself, and know all to well about superstitions, and karma... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Hey Raptor8, do you still got your 01' trans? I remember you being one of the guys in my post that said they still had it?

I agree with you gary, its just that everyone gets so wrapped up in "how fast is ___ quad", and automaticly thinks....Oh it must better/faster its two mile an hour faster than ___ quad. Just becuase a vehicle(no matter what it is) can reach X top speed doesn't neccesarily make it any faster than another. My truck tops out around 115-120. Does that mean that a performance car that only tops out at 100 is slower than my truck? I don't think so. Again its how fast you gain speed not the end result.

Old 12-17-2003, 12:22 PM
ben
Trailblazer
Default 450r vs raptor

i have both a yfz(stock) and a raptor(non stock)is hard to say which is faster,i course the raptor is faster at this moment,a well tune yfz with a pipe and a filter could give the raptor a good run

Old 12-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs raptor

thats interesting news Ben.

bryan yeah I still have the 01 trans, there were 3 of us, one got sold [the kid bot a ski boat in snow country duh] and the other is still good too. It cant be maintenance cuz Seans still has the original dirt on it, and mine looks like new. someone mentioned that the 02 first second ratios were different, i dont know how true, but first is different, i rode one. my 01 would smoke it off the line. hard on the clutch tho.

Gary I agree with you. I get tired of kids thinking theirs is better cuz the top speed is higher. How often do you run wide open unless youre a dragger? These are the same guys who cruise the car mags and dealerships looking for a spedometer that goes up to say, 140, since it WILL go that fast right? hehe

There is a big difference between quick and fast.
Drag cars are quick, where acceleration is everything.
Salt Flat Cars are fast, where quick acceleration is not a factor.
what Gary and I are saying is this:
my raptor with the stock 20 inchers on the back is quick; with the 22's not nearly as quick, but faster. The same ride with taller tires has an advantage at top speed, while the smaller diameter tires have an advantage at startup. get the idea guys?
It's all simple math, so stay awake in class! hehe
and wear your helmet please!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2003, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 450r vs raptor

I have had the opportunity to ride the new 450R as well as the YFZ450 on both a woods course and an MX track. No - the YFZ did not smoke or kill the 450R. Both machines are very similar. IMO the YFZ is more ergonimcally designed for the MX track. The seat hight is just slightly lower than the 450R. The reason for this is, the 450R has a shorter swingarm by about 3/4" making it a little taller. This is an easy fix. Both engines are very strong and pull very hard throughout the powerband. When both of these machines line up next year it will come down to the rider not the machine.

I'm not a pro rider, I was just included in the shootout for kicks. The pro riders who piloted the machines and gave the feedback were B. Ballance and J. Jones. If you check out my BIO page you wil see a picture of the 450R. If you would like more proof I will add some pics of the R after the brutal testing.

I just had to add my .02 seeing everyone bashing the R and not having rode one yet.

Quick Reply: 450r vs raptor