Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

To beat a YFZ on a raptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To beat a YFZ on a raptor

This was just from my view racing on a straight paved road. I never said anything about racing in sand, or racing on a mx track.

I've never ridden or raced in sand.

I have yet to race MX.

But I can and do race on down Rt. 16, and my above post told the story on that given day, and in the two races that we had.

For all I know on sand or MX, a Raptor is a turd. But in the hills of WV, they do damn good.

Old 12-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

I've got a friend with a stock DS and another with a 03 Rap that has a GYTR-Foam filter with lid off and GYT-R slip on rejetted with the GYT-R jet kit per spec.

My YFZ when run with stock gearing, stock tires on a dirt road will run 74.9 mph accorrding to my Garmin E-Trex GPS.

When we all race my YFZ will not even be in the same league as the other two from a dead stop. I can crank a 3rd gear hole shot with mine equiped as mentioned in my signature and the other two are so far behind its not even a race. I will mention that I've also raced a stock YFZ and had very similar results.. 5 to 7 bike lengths behind after I clicked 5th gear.

If I let both the DS and Rap get wound out in 5th and I can still pull from both of them easily. The rap and DS now run very much the same.. bottom to top and when fully wound out. The DS was faster than the RAp when it was stock. The GYT-R pipe, filter, jetting and lid off woke up the Rap tremendously.

I think the rap would run better if he dropped a tooth off the front sprocket.

Thats what I've seen.. also an incorrectly jetted YFZ will not hit its best top end in 5th.. I've specifically used a GPS when switching the main jet to determine which provided the fastest top end. I ran anywhere from 70 mph to 74.9 mph just by switching the main jet to the one that performed the best.

Old 12-17-2003, 12:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

MNRAP...you have too much money.

Old 12-17-2003, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

I'm just a bit older than some of you and have been working longer.. thats all it is.. When I was younger I wouldn't have dreamed of having the toys I have now.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I hear ya. It wasn't meant in a bad way. I was just saying that cause that GYT-R stuff is expensive.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Lol yes the GYTR stuff is damn expensive. But to tell you guys the Raptor is by far not a turd in the dunes. As ive said in my topic " Pismo Report" I beat three yfz's in a 300ft sand drag. Wasnt exact 300ft but around there. The yfz's are very quick from the line and got awesome holeshots. pretty quick through the first three gears. But what happened on the sand was when I get a good shot and get traction quick the yfz, yes is quicker throught the first three gears. But once i hit the top of third or i hit fourth i do start to catch up and i sketch passed the yfz. And this is the same story with Yamaha660r. But the yfz's did beat me too. The thing is, when your racing these two yamahas the thing is the start. If yfz gets a good one and keeps at it and you get a bad one. Give up there. But if you get a decent start and keep on going good. You will catch the yfz. Just my 2 cents.

-Eric-

Old 12-17-2003, 04:02 AM
Trailblazer

Eric, I want to ride with you at Gorman, I haven't raced anyone on my YFZ yet and would like to see first hand how it does. Let me know when you can make it! I went out last weekend and it was a blast until it started raining. Take Care !!

PH

Old 12-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess I'm not the only one that beats the YFZ's through 4th and 5th gear.

Old 12-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

With my Raptor, I had a chance to race a stock one and I was totally impressed how we where side by side even with all my mods until 4th gear, man if I would of been stock it would of crushed me, those stock YFZ's are impressive out the hole, I can imagine what they are like after a few mods!

Old 12-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

i think it will be aaaaalllloooonnnnggg time before one of those 450's get even close to me!!!! I will admit they do run good but they dont have any chance against a 686, piped or not!

Quick Reply: To beat a YFZ on a raptor