Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Deep water for a grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep water for a grizzly

Thinking about getting a '04 grizzly. Just wondering how they fair to deep water and mud? i.e. any belt slippage problems with the new models or anything I should be worried about?

Old 12-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hear they bogg out in high water

Old 12-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh yea and they boil gas

Old 12-20-2003, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 04 model. Yamaha has done their homework with the 04 model. All the bugs are gone. It will go thru water up to the top of the rear fenders. I go thru water 3ft deep all the time and my belt never slips!! They also fixed the overheating problem, no more boiling gas.

Old 12-20-2003, 07:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check a few old threads on this, because half the people that don't own a Grizzly are going to respond ASAP with boiling gas, vapor lock, hesitation, and water problem comments. I've been seeing this on every griz related post since it came out in 01.

Old 12-20-2003, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Andy Bassham
Check a few old threads on this, because half the people that don't own a Grizzly are going to respond ASAP with boiling gas, vapor lock, hesitation, and water problem comments. I've been seeing this on every griz related post since it came out in 01.
yep, sad but true. the people with problems are WAY more vocal then those of us ( the majority) that haven't had problems. Yamaha has sold an *** load of Grizzly's, I wonder what the ratio of people with problems to people w/o problems is?

In our club, I know of at least 4 660's and I've asked a few guys, and no one has had issues. We all have vented side panels of some sort now and we are in the DEEP south, so you know heat is an issue.

The 04's come with vented sides, and a diff lock override switch, it would be a fine choice

Old 12-20-2003, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

for safty, i would go no deeper than the bottom side of the top of the fenders, ( hope that made sence) where the fenders flange down. if you go to the front or rear rack, and have little or no foward momentium, your tranny will flood out. some say the grizzly does not go deep, but i disagree. if you measure up from the ground, the griz can go as deep as most 4x4 quads. it sits higher than most, so it just looks like it floods out fast. but, if you put a prarie next to a griz in a hole, the griz is sitting higher out of it. ( make any sence?) my friend on his polaris 500 sportsman looks like he is quite deep, until he parks next to me. then i realize he is 4 inchs lower than i am, so in the hole where his fenders are in the water, mine are still out. the grizzly also has a drain hole if you do swamp out the tranny. i put covers from a k&n filter over the intake and exhaust, so if i flooded, the wwater would be quite clean. pull the plug, let her drain, and off you go, lol.