Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Raptor how much horsepower stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Raptor how much horsepower stock?

Originally posted by: Yamaha660R
LOL....comparing a 400ex to a Raptor is like comparing a 2.2L to a 460. The only thing a EX can do stock vs. stock is out handle a Raptor. But if you lower a Raptor in the front and back you have the same if not better handling for trails. Jumping is a no-no, but trail riding and hill climbing the Raptor will stomp the 400. And everyone know's the Raptor is twice as fast, twice as powerful, and so on and so on.
I would like to extend a personal invite to Yamaha660r to come to
Glamis and race my 440ex and I'll even spot you 10 bike lenghts. And this invite goes to Diescarred as well.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

[
Isn't that what we are talking about the handling of the two bikes. Not which one is faster but which one handles the trails better. If a 400ex handles better wouldn't that make it a better trail machine?

Old 12-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

I've riddin' everything(look at my pics page...my 3 bro's all ride A rap,Bomb,and a EX)I would have to say the Rap BY FAR is a better bike for the trails(thats all we have up here in Ma.)those of you saying the EX is a better "HANDLING"bike! That is because they dont go FAST enuf to get "OUT OF CONTROL" .Every bike we ride with will dust my bro's EX ANYWHERE.........just my .02
Zilla

Old 12-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

LOL....comparing a 400ex to a Raptor is like comparing a 2.2L to a 460. The only thing a EX can do stock vs. stock is out handle a Raptor. But if you lower a Raptor in the front and back you have the same if not better handling for trails. Jumping is a no-no, but trail riding and hill climbing the Raptor will stomp the 400. And everyone know's the Raptor is twice as fast, twice as powerful, and so on and so on.

Reading your post, I can't help but think "this guy is smoking crack" twice as fast, twice as powerful, and so on and so on.

Sadly enough, some people post on this message board seeking advice and all they receive is extremely biased "my quad is the best in the world, they should stop making all other quads" advice. It's not as though they are comparing the playstation to the nintendo, the receiver of the advice will be making a decision that will cost thousands of dollars. The members on this forum should do all they can to assist new members in making the right choice. If the purchaser is happy with his quad, hopefully he will continue to ride and the sport grows- if not the quad sits in his garage while he/she is burdened with a payment.

A less biased real world opinion would be more beneficial to someone making a hard/big decision. Just my two cents.

Post responsibly............

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2003, 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Isn't that what we are talking about the handling of the two bikes. Not which one is faster but which one handles the trails better. If a 400ex handles better wouldn't that make it a better trail machine?

Not really. The 400ex doesn't have the power of the Raptor. It doesn't have reverse. It's not liquid cooled. I ride with several 400's and after lowering my Raptor I can out handle them on the most winding roads around. And in any race they don't stand a chance. A 400 is a great bike, but they are not in the same league as a Raptor. And I would race your 400EX any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

By the way, I would love to go to Glamis. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2003, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: speeddmn
I would like to extend a personal invite to Yamaha660r to come to
Glamis and race my 440ex and I'll even spot you 10 bike lenghts. And this invite goes to Diescarred as well.

Tell you what you come to Florence and I'll spot you a few lenghts, your modded EX against my modded Rappy. Unless you're on a Sparks 465ex on alky you wont stand a snowballs chance.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

A heavily modded EX vs an equally modded Rappy and you'll see what the bigger motor is really good at.

Old 12-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A rappy don't even have to have half the mod's of the EX to beat it down. My piped rappy beats up on modded EX's all the time. Like I said...the EX is not in the same league as the Raptor. Just the facts.

Old 12-22-2003, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

I should have been more specific in my first post.I have a 2003 honda 400ex and I love it.But after riding in the snow reverse would be awesome.I dont like the Z400/KFX400(dont ask my friend has one and I just dont like the way it feels).I feel that my 400ex is fast enough for me(stock except front sprocket) until I climb big hills is where I need the power i wiegh about 225 pounds.All i want is a powerful quad that handles good jumps good upto ~6-7 feet high thats reliable and has enough ground clearence.I dont want to have to buy aftermarket parts I like keeping it stock.We do mostly hatfield mccoy type riding with an occasinal trip to the MX track.

Thanks

Old 12-22-2003, 12:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

From what I hear you need a tank for the Hatfield Mccoy trails.

But like I said before....for trails the Rappy can't be beat....

Old 12-22-2003, 02:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Who cares???

I have a 01 Raptor and a 99 Grizzly. I just ordered a locker for the griz. I ride 75,000 acres here in east Tennnessee. I went down 1 tooth on the primary and up 4 teeth on the back sprocket on the raptor. It tamed it to the trails. I don't understand all the speed joc's. Spending $2000 to go faster. I can't ever get out of first gear. And yes I like to raise hell!!!

LoneWolf

Stupid questions deserve stupid answsers!!!

Quick Reply: Yamaha Raptor how much horsepower stock?