Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How reliable are banshees?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How reliable are banshees?

i know of three banshees that have run since 1995 and havent even had the head off you just have to always mix the oil right dont run it to lean and keep tranny oil fresh

Old 12-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Jetting is and heat are the most important factors to its life. Dont wanna get it too hot.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Pennyless
I would guess that they are only as reliable as the person maintaining them.
The above statement should end all discussion on this topic. Well said.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

ya well put pennyless

Old 12-31-2003, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

my banshee is constantly gaining compression?¿?¿ And the plugs defoul themselves?¿?¿? And the tranny fluid is always fresh looking?¿?¿? Chain is never loose?¿?¿?

OH WAIT.....its a YAMAHA!!

Beat that pennyless! lol

Old 12-31-2003, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Pennyless
There is a reason why they only come with a 30 day warranty. I would guess that they are only as reliable as the person maintaining them.
Thats exactly what I thought when I saw the title of this thread.

I have known guys who loved them and hated them and the only difference was how they maintained them and how well the guys with the modded ones knew how to keep them jetted correctly.

You will not be happy with the reliability if you run it too lean or be happy with the amount of fouled plugs you will be replacing if you run it too rich. I cant be sure right now if I would prefer repeatedly kicking over a fouled engine or repeatedly rebuilding the engine, but I know I would have a better overall experience if it was taken care of properly and bet you would too.

Old 12-31-2003, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

Had a friend who bought a brand new 99 Banshee, had it till 2001 and never a single prob besides changing the spark plug, never did a top end, just spark plugs, OH and he had a problem with eating up rear tires! LOL!!!! He loved the road riding!! LOL!! Penny was absolutely correct, its all in how you maintain them!!! My modded bikes have been as reliable as my stock bike!!! But thats because I make sure of that!!! Good luck with your screamer!!!

Old 12-31-2003, 09:25 AM
Range Rover

The Banshee is a totally reliable machine, just as good as any other quad. All you need to do is properly maintain it and keep the air filter intact and clean, change tranny fluid. Mudd riding is not recomended by me for any quad, it eats sprokets, chains, brakes, causes overheating due to slow riding. My reliability story is this, I built a 75 HP banshee which I ran 3 years at the dunes then sold it to a friend (and he's still a friend). The dyno run was done at the 3 year point. My friend has riden it two more years and is now going on its 6th year. We've never reopened the motor. Last year it locked up in 4th at the dunes. He jammed on the shifter while riding it for a half hour and it broke free out of 4th and rode several more times last year. We plan on ice racing it in a couple weeks.

Old 12-31-2003, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Definitely as good as they are maintained by the owner. Mine is a 93 and only had 2 top ends put in it. It gets to see a little of everything, mx-trails-dunes a couple times a year. No problems with regular maintenance and care, just like any other quad. Two of everything kinda sux but its twice the arm ripping fun! There are so many things you can do to make it more trail friendly also but still have arm pulling power through the woods and drags.

Old 12-31-2003, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

I ride my banshee everywhere, and if you think 2 strokes arent good for trails, watch the GNCC nationals the 2 stroke 250rs are dominating the series..so who says you cant ride a 2 stroke in the trails..

Quick Reply: How reliable are banshees?