Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 RAPTOR TRANNY FAILURE - no kidding !

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 RAPTOR TRANNY FAILURE - no kidding !

Well, the mystery is over and the reason for my 02 tranny being stuck in gear has been solved without any doubt. The same failure mode as the typical 01 failure occured - a dog busted off of the 2nd gear pinion (PN 5LP-17121-00-00 **EDIT oops wrong PN - it should be 5LP-17121-10-00 ** ). There are three dogs on one side and 4 on the other. One sheared off of the 3 side.

The broken dog made it's way through the large lower galley into the clutch side of the case, the oil pump gear shot it back (damaging the teeth on the plastic gear but not too bad) to the Shift Shaft Assemby where it got logded against the case preventing the shift shaft assembly from moving. The marks on the case and such make it like investigating a crime scene.....

I found no other damage and all pieces are accounted for.

At this point I'm glad I figured it out but disappointed that the 02 didnt hang in there. I even had the 02 gears Cryoed when I did the conversion.

I have no choice but to fix it but am not convinced it's gonna last.......

Comments ?

Old 01-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Well, that sucks. Thats the first 02 I've heard of. Lets just hope its the last. I feel for you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Just to varify the part number to make sure about something. You posted that the part number was 5LP-17121-00-00. That is an 01 part number and the tooth count on that part number is 19/21. The 02 part number for that part is 5LP-17121-10-00 and the tooth count is 18/21. Count the teeth to be sure what you have. The failure on this gear is the first one I have seen. The normal 01 dog failures were on part number 5LP-17241-00-00 (4th gear wheel, 3 dogs, 22 tooth). The dogs would break off on the 2nd gear wheel side. The 02 part number for this part is 5LP-17241-10-00 and has 4 dogs on the 2nd gear wheel side. It also has 22 teeth.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That is the first time I've heard of any tranny other then the 01's breaking down. That is actually surprising.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

RaptorRRC,

Good catch ! I was mistakenly looking at a diagram for an 01 when I got the part number for the post - dumb mistale on my part. The part # is indeed 5LP-17121-10-00, I even checked my reciepts. I was referring to busted dogs (in general) as the normal failure mode.

I'm real surprised I managed to break an 02 tranny, especially with all the built Raptors not having tranny troubles. Maybe I gotta change my lifestyle (or riding style) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2004, 02:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am helping my buddy get his '01 put together. He had the '01 fail (no big story there!) Then over Thanksgiving he had the Fortin Gears (aftermarket) fail. We are now putting in the '02 gearset.

In his case, the dogs were fine the gears actually broke off! (This is for the '01's - he has them in his garage and we were looking at them last night!)

The Fortin Gear actually broke in TWO! When it did the gear must have come off the shaft a little and pushed the shift fork shaft (the one with two forks on it) up nough to bend the shaft and finally break the cases as it was getting torn out of there! So, he just got his new cases today!

I don't like hearing about an '02 failure!

One thing I did find out is when Sam Coe replaced the '01 tranny with the Fortin Gears he didn't change the shift forks or any of the shafts. Wonder if that caused some of the issues???

I sent my buddy to Craycraft for the Tranny parts. Bob got things out quickly and at a competitive price.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2004, 05:11 AM
Pro Rider

I am upgrading to the '02 tranny design & I have to be honest, my tranny shows no wear at all. I am actually somewhat upset that I didn't find at least some wear. It makes me feel like I could have riden it alot longer at least until it failed but I can't take the 1st-2nd gear ratio anymore, especially for hill climbing. My riding buddy thinks it has more to do with rider weight than anything else. I am 6' tall & weigh 175lbs. I also change my oil religously but this report of an '02 failure maybe opens up some new ideas as to what can cause a tranny to fail. I admit I take it easy shifting from 1st to 2nd with the '01 tranny but beat the hell out of the rest of the shifts. I sure hope the '02 gear ratio lets me shift more worry free & makes hill climbing easier so I don't have to change sprocket size so much. We also drag race on concrete/asphalt at least once a ride so who knows what really stresses the tranny the most: rider weight, beating it, racing on the road, clutch free shifting, too many missed shifts, weak material, too few oil changes??

Old 01-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

Fisher did you replace your shifter forks/dog ears when the trans went out the first time? If not they could have been damaged from the first failure causing abnormal wear on the new 02' gear set. Before I blame this on faulty 02' gear I would check out the shift forks/dog ears. This seems to me like a VERY realistic reason for your failure......at any rate sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope you get it resolved.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

The shift forks were changed when I did the 02 conversion. There is absolutely no sign of wear on any of them at all. One dog sheared off. Everything else looks perfect - no wear - it shouldnt, it was only 1 year old and I am finatical about maintenance and oil changes.

I only weigh 160 lbs and went to the extremes of making sure I run the lightest weight rear tires possible (less spinning mass) and do my best to shift smoothly always using the clutch. But, I am very hard on it in general (occasional desert race, dunes, and lots of rough desert play riding just about every weekend).

On a sidenote - I found a nice big new crack in the frame, that's the 3rd....?

Old 01-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Fisher.....get RID of that thing! Man I really like my raptor, but if I had as many problems as you've had with that thing it would be time for it to GO! Personal opinion(and it is just that), I'd repair the trans, and ditch that thing. As soon as mine is paid off its gone too.......

Quick Reply: 02 RAPTOR TRANNY FAILURE - no kidding !