Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor vs. V-Force 700

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor vs. V-Force 700

I'm 5'10'', 165lbs, and 20 years of age. I've been riding since I was able. I ride open pastures, trails, river bottoms, dunes, etc... Most everything but MX. Thus I'm looking at the V-700 and the Raptor. I know the main differences, auto vs. manual... shaft vs. chain...V getts off the line faster in a drag, but soon the Raptor catches up and passes (has a higher top speed). I would like to know in jumping what is the difference between the two? what are the maximum hights and distances I can puch theses quads before bottoming out or jarring me? Also how do these quads handle in the air (knowing the V weighs a good amount). Please reply concerning this post. I'm also not locked into just these two quads, but most likely will be picking between the two.

Sorry if this question had already been brought up, I couldn't find it anywhere.

Old 01-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

thats is a tough question, my buddy has a vforce and i have a raptor, both were new to MX but we both think that if you do some suspension work on the vforce that it could be a great quad, but the vofrce is also much much heavier then the raptor and suspension was needed on my part, i dont think it is really needed. Only draw back with the vforce is it's weight. what almost 600lbs, raptor is in the mid 400's. I really like the raptor myself because of what it is. vforce sits different and feels like u are riding a tank. eithier way u will be happy.
i know when both of out quads were stock i could bet him at the dunes at drag racing and comp hill racing was even. he has added some different springs and can now beat me, but then i went down on a sprocket in the front so ilost top end but i can get him everytime at comp hill racing. I think there is more hop ups on the raptor then the vforce but then vforce is still new! soit really depends on what feels best for you, ride both and see for yourself.
sorry about blah blah

Old 01-07-2004, 06:08 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know exatcally how far and high you can jump both quads but I do know if your wanting to do this kind of riding the V-Force shouldn't be a top choice. The heavy weight, handling, balance, and suspension travel isn't designed for MX type riding instead it's made more for cross country and open riding. I've never ridden a V but by looking at the stats and etc I can tell the Rappy would be a better choice here. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 01-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

Actually the raptor weighs 389, but the V-force is up there(don't remember what the mag. said[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ) Honestly neither quad is a very good choice for mx. As others have said the V is to heavy, and the geometry is not right at all for mx. The raptor is not really a good choice as well since it is rather top heavy, narrow, and with the stock BSR carbs(vaccum style) everytime you land from a jump/whoop your going to get a bad bog....Not to good in a rythm section [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] If your really looking at getting a mx quad I'd look seriously first at the new Yfz or Trx, then lower on the scale I'd look at the Z/Kfx400's and Cannondales. The V and the Rappy are just not a good choice for mx.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

the v-force weighs apprx. 516 lbs stock, and the raptor is like 390lbs, i think, but i know for sure the v-force is shaft driven, and is automatic transmission.

later

Old 01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bighonda
thats is a tough question, my buddy has a vforce and i have a raptor, both were new to MX but we both think that if you do some suspension work on the vforce that it could be a great quad, but the vofrce is also much much heavier then the raptor and suspension was needed on my part, i dont think it is really needed. Only draw back with the vforce is it's weight. what almost 600lbs, raptor is in the mid 400's. I really like the raptor myself because of what it is. vforce sits different and feels like u are riding a tank. eithier way u will be happy.
i know when both of out quads were stock i could bet him at the dunes at drag racing and comp hill racing was even. he has added some different springs and can now beat me, but then i went down on a sprocket in the front so ilost top end but i can get him everytime at comp hill racing. I think there is more hop ups on the raptor then the vforce but then vforce is still new! soit really depends on what feels best for you, ride both and see for yourself.
sorry about blah blah
im curious different valve springs? if so where did he get them and what kind. I have a lot of friends with a v-700

Old 01-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Austin.. He's talking about changing the clutch spring. They control the engagement and shiftout points. They only run about $20 and make a world of difference in the acceleration of the V. They are available through EPI and Dalton. Do a search if your interested, there's tons of info.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor is the better choice for you. Basically the smaller bike. And good for your size. Only weighs in at 390 lbs dry. But the V-Force, being shaft drive and automatic. And also weighing in at over 500 pounds. And when i sat on it it felt HUGE. V- Force is not the MX bike. The YFZ is the better choice than the Raptor in MX. But you can manage with the Raptor. Since you see some of the guys out there using the raptors. So I think the raptor would be your best choice.

-Eric-

Old 01-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, I didn't make myself too clear. I'm not looking to jump MX type of jumps ( doubles, tabletops, etc.) I just like jumping maybe 5 or 6 foot at maybe a distance of 10 to 15 foot in length. Would that still be too much for either quad. Really the only time I jump like that is at the dunes, otherwise it's just some terraces in the pasture or pond banks. Please respond to this and tell me If it sounds like these 2 quads are more for the style of riding I do (which is 75% trail type) or if I should be considering the YZF and the TRX 450's with the little bit of jumping I do?

Thank you for your replys

Old 01-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

RAPTOR! It does all the things you want very well and, has more aftermarket support than any other!

It is perfectly capable of jumping, is plenty fast even stock and, is an excellent Duner! Take the $500 you save over the others and, buy paddles and, a slip on!

Quick Reply: Raptor vs. V-Force 700