Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

One Way Bearing... AGAIN!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004 | 10:51 AM
Trailblazer
Default One Way Bearing... AGAIN!!!!

The local Yamaha mechanic told me that the factory has notified the shops to change the pilot jetting in the raptors carbs. Has anyone else on this board heard of this? A freind of mine had his oneway replaced under warranty and the mechanic told him about this jetting change. I'm sorry I can't remember how the jetting was changed, wether it was higher or lower. Perhaps the pilot jetting is the same as the 660 Grizzly, since there haven't been any oneway problems with the Grizz oneways (AFIK).

Not sure about the cold weather having any affect on your oneway, but it has been cold the last week (I'm in atlantic Canada), I haven't had any oneway problems due to the cold. (I'm on a new factory oneway ~6mths old). I'd have to agree with most people on this thread and call L&A to find out if they've been having anyother problems.

Old 01-12-2004 | 11:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider

That will not float. WHen my Raptor was NEW back in early 01, the carbs kept popping off and 27.5 pilots helped too cure the problem (along with using a vacuum guage and adjusting the pilot circuits CORRECT). I replaced 2 one ways (Yamaha paid for the first one out of warranty) with the same 27.5 pilot jets. I have NEVER had too use the throttle upon startup...always use the choke only. Lets face it....the one way is a defective design.
This is the first I have heard of a L and A going down....keep us informed Entomber.

Old 01-12-2004 | 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

My relatively trouble free Rappy had the stock oneway fail after 2 years mid '03 it went and mines a March 01 purchase. I put the L&A in mine in April ish? Never heard of an LA oneway failure. Please shoot some pics of it and lets see what the problem is. I believe they were gonna sell a rebuild kit for their oneway for somewhere in the $20ish range. Btw, I see alot of guys with bad raptor luck but my 01 is still holding onto its stock trans with a 12:1 686. The only things to fail other than the oneway were caused by me and directly related to my 686 rebuild. Rip into that thing and check whats going on. Maybe your oil is thick from being cold and settled away from the oneway causing it to run dry for a bit?

Old 01-12-2004 | 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

We are having near polar conditions for the last 5 days or so around here I am sure it is the cause of the problem, all sorts of things can get sticky on this kinda weather even oil which could have gummed up on the gear and caused it to slip some. Hopefully its no longer doing it since it finally came about 20 degrees today to a blistering 45 today but its coming back down now. We are sposed to get snow!

If it acts up anymore I would send it back or get in touch with the place you bought it, I am sure they will take care of you, all the vendors that sell L&A really care about the sport.

What kind of oil and viscosity are you running?

Old 01-12-2004 | 09:07 PM
|
Pro Rider

Mr45auto,

That's what I think, the oil might have a factor in this. I'm too tired, too sick to go out there and now and fire it. I will try it tomorrow and see if it is indeed weather related. Again I had the dealer do it.

One thing I heard that the Raptor's one way goes when people use the thumb throttle upon startup. Another story is that it doesn't warm up. What really causes them to go?

Old 01-13-2004 | 11:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

Okay fired her up again today it was a bit warmer but cold still

- first crank it was fine

- second crank fine

- third crank i heard free spinning

- fourth crank free spinning

- fith it fired

- I let it run for about 5 minutes shut it off and tried it again... again free spininng. I got it fired up and let it run for another 5 mintues reved it up a bit... seemed to be fine after that. Perhaps the oil I used.. but still I think it's failing again.

ANYONE.. why do these go bad? I contacted Bob at Craycraft who sold me the one way. Let's see what happens.

Old 01-13-2004 | 11:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not sure Craycraft sells the LA designs one way bearing. I could be wrong though. Are you sure you have a LA Designs one way and not the OEM version? Just asken.

Old 01-13-2004 | 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

He sells them Dave.

Old 01-13-2004 | 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ahight, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

How come you guys aren't camping with the rest of the normal Dumont crew this weekend?

Old 01-14-2004 | 12:18 AM
|
Pro Rider

Okay I was just contacted by Bob at Craycraft,

Indeed he mentioned that I have a warranty on the bearing. I will take pics of it once I pull it out. I wonder if he needs the old one. I need to invest in a steering wheel puller and some time. I'm thinking of cryo treating the parts now...

Quick Reply: One Way Bearing... AGAIN!!!!