Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz 450 vs. Honda 250r

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yfz 450 vs. Honda 250r

By the way, we ran probably 20 times over a couple of hours and the R has stock gearing. It was pretty much the same scenario every race. I'm not bashing the new 450, it is a great machine and I own a Yammi and like them. But a well prepared 330R wont be outrun by one. I dont know if one even on alky would hang with my wife's, but her's might be an exceptional runner.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, when you talk about MX, that is 100% rider!!!! Take for example, my YZ285F, I know its not faster than my YZ450F, but I can easily get out on a track and embariss people with bigger machines!!!! Stock for stock, with the same rider the YFZ should win easily, but most people always forget preference of rider, put me on a CRF450R and I am positive my lap times would be slower than if I was on my YZF's. The 2 bikes are very similar and I am so glad that the Atv companies finally started making production quads using these engines. Also, to me this sounds like the import versus domestic dispute in the car drag racing world, everyone always says, "take the money left over and put it into mods". WHY???? If its not fast enough stock then just say it is!!!! Most people are comparing modified 250R's to a stock YFZ's!!! If you own a 250r, just admit that in stock form the 250r is no longer the "legendary" quad it once used to be!!!! I'm not dumping on honda cuz they will have great sucess with the TRX450R! Yamaha, has always raised the bar for Honda to follow when it comes to sport machines, Honda had the 400ex and 300ex for alot of years and thats all they had, Yamaha had the Blaster, Banshee, Warrior, Raptor and Wolverine(if you want to consider that even a sport machine). Then Yamaha came out with the YFZ450!!! FINALLY honda got the idea and built the TRX450r, if its anything like the rest of Honda's quads, you all should really expect fairly great handling with not really much of a powerband!!! Since the lawsuits honda has always backed away from making all out performance quads!! But these machines will be so close to each other in their intended purposes(MX not drag racing or trail riding) that it will certainly be the RIDER of BOTH machines thats the determining factor on which wins the RACE!!!!! 4-Strokes will eventually own the quad MX world, judging from the pro's that are riding them this year in MX, they will this year!!!!

Old 01-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

Guido39- You can def find an R for 2000. Not in perfect shape but why would it have to be if you would put 4000 into it to make up for the yfz cost? I garentee i could get an R with a blown motor or somethin for 1500 and put 1000 into it and make the yfz tuck its tail between its legs. Only 250Rs with ALOT of aftermakret things on them already or R's that are almost stock in mint condition go for 4-5 grand bud. The average 250R goes for about 3000 dollers.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Range Rover

one of my friends has a trx250r that is all stock except a pipe, silencer and a desert tank and he beat my other friend who has a yfz.
anybody have close races with the yfz vs 250r?

Old 01-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

cool, what kind of pipe was he running?

Old 01-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: TellicoGrizz660
First, when you talk about MX, that is 100% rider!!!! Take for example, my YZ285F, I know its not faster than my YZ450F, but I can easily get out on a track and embariss people with bigger machines!!!! Stock for stock, with the same rider the YFZ should win easily, but most people always forget preference of rider, put me on a CRF450R and I am positive my lap times would be slower than if I was on my YZF's. The 2 bikes are very similar and I am so glad that the Atv companies finally started making production quads using these engines. Also, to me this sounds like the import versus domestic dispute in the car drag racing world, everyone always says, "take the money left over and put it into mods". WHY???? If its not fast enough stock then just say it is!!!! Most people are comparing modified 250R's to a stock YFZ's!!! If you own a 250r, just admit that in stock form the 250r is no longer the "legendary" quad it once used to be!!!! I'm not dumping on honda cuz they will have great sucess with the TRX450R! Yamaha, has always raised the bar for Honda to follow when it comes to sport machines, Honda had the 400ex and 300ex for alot of years and thats all they had, Yamaha had the Blaster, Banshee, Warrior, Raptor and Wolverine(if you want to consider that even a sport machine). Then Yamaha came out with the YFZ450!!! FINALLY honda got the idea and built the TRX450r, if its anything like the rest of Honda's quads, you all should really expect fairly great handling with not really much of a powerband!!! Since the lawsuits honda has always backed away from making all out performance quads!! But these machines will be so close to each other in their intended purposes(MX not drag racing or trail riding) that it will certainly be the RIDER of BOTH machines thats the determining factor on which wins the RACE!!!!! 4-Strokes will eventually own the quad MX world, judging from the pro's that are riding them this year in MX, they will this year!!!!

Sure, there are different racing types and definitely the rider has a lot to do with things, often more than what people realize. But I have a question.......... Since the new thumpers are making so much power now, why dont they let the 2-strokes up the cc limit on their motors? I dont MX or TT race, but it would seem to me that maybe if you want things to be "FAIR" then let the cc's be the same too. Engine size has nothing to do with it in drag racing.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

All I have in my R is a pipe, slight porting, k&n, and milled head and I can beat modded YFZ's with no problems. I was disappointed to see that this YFZ is so slow considering what it is. I dont know how you other guys with R's have lost to YFZ's...I think u need to tune it right or something.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

agreed crackhead - the r is too touchy(and most other two strokes) to fine tune performance 100% of the time...

Old 01-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: CrAcKhEaD
All I have in my R is a pipe, slight porting, k&n, and milled head and I can beat modded YFZ's with no problems. I was disappointed to see that this YFZ is so slow considering what it is. I dont know how you other guys with R's have lost to YFZ's...I think u need to tune it right or something.[/q

Crackhead, There is no way with the mods you have that you will beat
"modded" YFZ's!!!! If your talking about MX racing then that could be that your a better rider than the other people!!! But drag racing, you don't have enough mod's to beat a "modded" YFZ, also, what is your definition of "MODS" and what were the mods of the people you were racing against????

Old 01-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

''All I have in my R is a pipe, slight porting, k&n, and milled head and I can beat modded YFZ's with no problems. I was disappointed to see that this YFZ is so slow considering what it is. I dont know how you other guys with R's have lost to YFZ's...I think u need to tune it right or something.[/q

Crackhead, There is no way with the mods you have that you will beat
"modded" YFZ's!!!! If your talking about MX racing then that could be that your a better rider than the other people!!! But drag racing, you don't have enough mod's to beat a "modded" YFZ, also, what is your definition of "MODS" and what were the mods of the people you were racing against???''

-Ok so the ''slight'' porting is national porting and the bore is a 265, but even with just that I have beaten YFZ's with full pipe, no lid, ''cam mod'', and properly jetted. I can still go alky with a bigger carb and leave it farther behind, or bore it alittle more maybe even add a PV and embarass it even more...The mods on a YFZ can only go so far where as you have limitless possibilities with an R. Sure stock for stock the R is no match but the R is 18years old and yet people still feel the need to compare them?

Quick Reply: yfz 450 vs. Honda 250r