Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need some help with breaking the bead on ATV tires.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with breaking the bead on ATV tires.

I've just built an ATV tire bead breaker. I'm still having a hard time breaking the bead on the tires.
It works, but it's not easy. Maybe there is an easier way. Don't tell me take it to the shop, heh, heh!
Let me know how some of you who break your own beads do it.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

If you're trying to break the beads on a stock tire, good luck. There's no easy way to do them. The flimsy sidewall make them a pain on even a tire machine.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

Try kingsford charcol lighter fluid squirt it around the bead/rim let it sit over night and beat the crap out of it.
Then take it to the tire shop
One other trick over inflate the tire some times it causes them to move a little and debond
Good luck

Old 01-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with all of the above. If you can try my method
get a 1 foot long X 12 inch diameter piece of plastic c900 water pipe, set it on the tire - it will go outside the rim- raise a back hoe bucket and slide the tire and pipe under the bucket then drop the bucket.... booom ... bead broke. Of course you need a back hoe though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

We were having a *&@#^ of a time breaking the beads on the stock Dunlops a couple of weeks ago using a good beadbreaker. It'd just slip down the sidewall. We sprayed silicone around the bead and it made all the difference in the world. We still had to go a few inches at a time, but finally got 'em done.
Those 2 ply tires are a royal pain. I don't even break a sweat on 4 or 6 ply tires, but ya definitely have to work to get the stock ones off.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

this sounds dumb but WORKS just run over the tire with truck, NOT the wheel part just the tire and it should slid or even pop off. thats what my friend told me to do with my stock tires

Old 01-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I steal mom's ginsue knife and cut the tire off as close as possible to the beads. Then I use a pair of genuine Channelock wire snips (dykes) and cut the metal wires in the bead off one at a time.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some truly weird and creative methods here. I've broken the beads on hundred of ATV tires using the manual bead breaker on a coats 220 tire machine. What I do is leave a small amount of air in the tire, to help keep sidewall of the tire from collapsing. Then I stand on the bead breaker handle and bounce on it. If you have too much air in, the bead won't break, if you don't have enough, it won't support the sidewall of the tire. So sometimes the air pressure must be adjusted. I usually start with about 5 or 6 psi. The dished side of the rim won't break loose all at once, and usually the bead will pop back on once you release pressure on the handle, so I usually remove the valve stem to let the air out once the bead on the tire goes past the bead hump on the rim. If there's a hole in the tire, I just wait til the air leaks out the hole. One other thing, make sure the tire and rim are room temp, if they have been sitting in the cold like you've had lately, they will not cooperate with you at all.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Reekster
get a 1 foot long X 12 inch diameter piece of plastic c900 water pipe, set it on the tire - it will go outside the rim- raise a back hoe bucket and slide the tire and pipe under the bucket then drop the bucket.... booom ... bead broke. Of course you need a back hoe though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
LMFAO!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Reekster
We have a backhoe...... And you know I was seriously contemplating this... lol I was just gonna set the bucket on the tire lip though...

Quick Reply: Need some help with breaking the bead on ATV tires.