Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best sporty utility Prairie 700 or Grizzly??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best sporty utility Prairie 700 or Grizzly??????

I am looking at either a g660 or p700. i have rode raptors for the pst few years and want something that move out and handles too. i will do very little utility except for plowing my driveway. i have ridden a prairie 700 and loved it. I have not ridden a grizzly though but i think the stock prairie was about as quick as my raptor when it was stock. now after piping the raptor it was no comparison but i don't really want to have to pipe a grizzly because of the noise and expense.you guys who have ridden both please give me you opinions on how sporty a grizzly is?? does it fishtail and powerslide nicely?

Old 01-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

id say if ther was one quads the kawi did a good job with it wold be the praire andi think they have more power and weigh less

Old 01-14-2004, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Grizzly and its a good quad but for more sportiness I would have to say the Prairie 700.

Old 01-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

i havent rode the newer grizzlies yet but i have rode a p700,it handles like a sport but is able to go off the trail for a lil 4x4 fun,im sure the grizz is just as nice,i think the p700 will win a drag(1 beat me by 2 bike lengths)but that was b4 i got the mudlites,the grizz seems nice too,i read about it in dirtwheels and they have a pic of the test rider doing a nice fishtail,they both look very nice,i think this one will come down to which ever 1 has to best price for you,if i had the money i would buy both becuase they are 2 very nice machine,i would use to grizz for mostly utility and the p700 for mostly playing,i hope this helps...........did i mention how nice the powerband was on both of them?very smooth(to me)

Old 01-14-2004, 05:25 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Since you want to ride a 4x4 like the sport quad you are used to the Prairie would be the best way to go. It wouldn’t be as cushy on the trail as the Grizzly but it will provide a softer ride than what your Raptor did. The solid rear axle Prairie slides much easier than the IRS Grizzly does. You can ride the Grizzly fast too (although the Prairie has the stronger engine), but the handling is sloppy when compared to the Prairie. Beyond this they will both go places where you couldn’t go with your Raptor. The Grizzly may have a slight edge on the really rough stuff with it’s higher ground clearance and IRS. I personally think the Grizzly is a more rugged machine and it seems like it has a better belt driven CVT transmission than the Prairie does (I hear more belt squealing noises coming from Prairies than Grizzlies), but the Prairie comes out on top if high speed handling is important to you…

Old 01-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

I've got both and they're both awesome quads; can't go wrong with either one. Question should be: do you want IRS or not? The Grizzly is ALMOST as fast as the P-700...maybe faster over 45 MPH. But, when I want to ride one like a sport quad, I take the Prairie.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

I Just got rid of my Raptor and decided to get a utility too, after closely looking at both I am gonna get a Grizzly, If I want sport quad handling again, I will pick another sport quad up, but for now I want the nice ride and 4x4 ability of the Grizzly! Both great machines though, I doubt you would dislike either of them at all!

Old 01-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

LOL!!!! Here we go!!!! Prairie or Grizzly??? Thats an easy decision, you either A. want a sport quad with 4x4(bigger version of a Scrambler if you ask me) then the prairie is your answer. B. You want something that rides alot more comfortable, better overall belt system, and the ability to go where the Prairie can't, then I'd go with the Grizzly!!! It really comes down to preference!!! Most importantly the type of terrain you ride on!!! People will say the Grizzly is horrible in off-camber situations, thats a load of crap, I ride in off camber situations everytime I ride!! Not a problem so far!!! The only thing I can see the Prairie being superior to the Grizzly in is drag racing, but the Prairie really isnt that much FASTER than the Grizz, especially in higher speeds!!! The Prairie however offers a more stable stance in off camber situations due to the SRA, but in deep mud or really rough terrain like rocks etc, it can become a problem!!! BUT again MOST importantly the main thing to ask yourself is where you plan to ride!!!!!!! WHATEVER you do, do not believe what the MAGZ say!!!! Even the PRAIRIE owners will agree, the last shootout they did, the PRAIRIE and the quest were the only quads taht got stuck, yet it won the shootout cuz it was just a "little bit faster". Drag times were what 5/10th's of a second faster??? What is that in a short drag a quad length or 2???? Such a deciding factor!!!!! Also your racing a single 660 against a twin 700, I would think the P700 would destroy it, but it doesnt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, I hope this never happens to either, but the twin would be more costly to fix than the single!!!! To be honest, it all comes down to the terrain you ride and simply whether or not you want IRS!!!! The prairie isnt that much faster than the Grizz contrary to popular belief!!! Drag them and see for yourself, you will be surprised, a single ith 40 less cc's versus a 700cc TWIN!!! Its kindov funny actually!!!!

Old 01-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Well Tellico660 then your 660 should eat my 633 for lunch , but it don't.Now watch he will come back and say how fast his other bikes are and how my prairie wont even go where his does on the tellico trails.Its the same thing with you over and over and over and over and over.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: trailride
Well Tellico660 then your 660 should eat my 633 for lunch , but it don't.Now watch he will come back and say how fast his other bikes are and how my prairie wont even go where his does on the tellico trails.Its the same thing with you over and over and over and over and over.
Well its the same thing with the PRAIRIE owners OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!! SPEED SPEED SPEED!!! Arent 4x4's made to go places that other quads can't???? I dont just come back with saying your PRAIRIE won't go where the Grizz or ANY IRS quads can go, ITS FACT!!!!! Even the magz said it got stuck!!! Since so many on here worship what the magz say, did they mention the Grizz, Honda, or AC or the SP700 getting stuck???? HMMM........

Quick Reply: Best sporty utility Prairie 700 or Grizzly??????