Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster Clutch Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2000, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a used '94 Blaster and enjoy riding it very much. I've taken it to the local track and haven riden it to death and enjoy every minute. I just have a problem with clutch pull. I've noticed and have been told that my clutch is hard to pull in. What options do I have to increase the ease of clutch pull? I found a product that the Dennis Kirk magazine has advertised and I believe it is made by Moose and it is a device that shortens clutch pull or would it be better to change the whole lever or would doing both be the way to go. I looked through a dirt bike magazine and noticed a hydraulic clutch lever assembly and was wondering if anyone knew of anything like that for the Blaster. Should I need to change something in the actual clutch itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if any Blaster owners have any used parts that are for sale please drop me an e-mail on what you have and how much? Thanks

Old 06-28-2000, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

I would suggest at the very least use a pressure luber and lubricate the cable. The cable should slide freely within the sheath. You can test this by disconnecting both ends of the cable, and then with your hands should be able to easily slide the cable back and forth. Sometimes corrosion, absence of lubrication, or the inner liner coming loose with cause a clutch cable to get stiff. If lubing the cable doesn't solve the problem(of course after troubleshooting to see if it stiff), get a new cable, and lubricate it too.

Even with aftermarket higher tension springs the clutch shouldn't be "hard" to pull in, firm yes, hard no. It should snap out if you let go of the handle while it's pulled in. There are available aftermarket perches that have better leverage, as for the hydraulic clutch, wow...that's some money for something that only works marginally better than just a different perch. Try building hand strength too...proper conditioning can help out alot riding, it helps prevent, or most cases like myself, lessen arm pump...

Old 06-28-2000, 02:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I believe the cable is in great shape. I'm sure it's just because I just got into manual clutch riding and am not conditioned like you said. I will probably try a new perch and lever, maybe one that locates itself closer to the grips.

Old 06-28-2000, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

IF all else fails PEP makes a clutch and perch that really makes it easier to pull in. My friend has one on his R and it did a great job.

Old 06-28-2000, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

i just think you aren't used to it.

The first day i road mine for about 3 hours my hand cramped.

I bet after a little bit of time it will get better.

You can always pick up a can of cable lube. Maybe that will help you. And the E-Z pull clutch levers are said to reduce pull by 33%.

Old 06-28-2000, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer

I would bet it is the clutch cable. My son has gone through 3 of them in the last 1 1/2 years. I would check before buying a new craddle. you can tell when it is time because it gets hard to pull.
good luck.
97 Banshee
(2) 96 blaser
00 400ex (for sale)

Old 07-01-2000, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

easyest pulling would come by new cable and perch.