Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sputtering Wolverine AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering Wolverine AGAIN!

Mine has no real pattern. The last time it happened I was in Arkansas and we had stopped for a few minutes to let everyone catch up and take a break.(really hard riding) When everyone decided to go all the sudden it felt like the parking brake was on. It pissed me off so I just kept giving it throttle for about five minutes. I bet it died 20 times. Finally I started it and started pulling the choke in and out while giving it throttle. All of the sudden it cleared up. After reading all the post I am shure that there was some type of particle in the carb and opening the choke let it pass.
I don't think it has ever happened after water.
Thanks for all the replies.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'm telling you guys, we checked it all. Heat saturation, deep water, splashed water, hot engine, cold engine, electrical problem, parking brake limiter, air filter, steep hills. looked for a month and on several frusterating rides. Dirt in the float bowl. And it keeps getting there. Id say maybe powerwashing was forcing it in through a seal somewhere, but this kid never even washes his wheeler, it's always caked w/ mud. Vibrations are probably the culprit.

Old 01-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a suggestion that might lead to absolutely nothing.....but, check your vent line from the fuel tank cap. Take the cap off and see if you can blow through the hose. If you can, it is more than likely working correctly. If you can not, you are creating a vacuum above the fuel while the bike is running, and eventually, there will come a point where you can not drain fuel quickly enough to keep the bike running. If there is water in this line, it can freeze as well.. in fact, if condensation has collected inside the cap, it can freeze as well and keep the check valve from opening to allow air in.

Check it, it won't take long and if you find nothing, what did you loose? Only time.

Ride On.

Old 01-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Mabey your gas cap is clogged with something cause a vacum tight in the gas tank causeing not to get any gas and u cant give it throttle or it will die. or you got dirt in your gas line cause it not to get enough gas

Old 01-25-2004, 10:18 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Just for the record I had a 2000 Wolverine that did exactly the same thing as described here. I looked in the airbox, had the carb apart, everything looked fine. It’s happened when play riding around the farm for hours at a time, and it’s happened at Hatfield McCoy (two separate trips, 6 days riding total, did it once on each trip). Each time it seemed like the trouble lasted for 20 minutes or so. Both times at Hatfield McCoy we attempted to “ride it out”. Acted like a 2 stroke with a fouling plug. It would run fine at near idle speeds, but apply throttle and the engine would blubber. We’d let it slow down, then try applying throttle again, each time trying to get it go as fast as it could and get the revs as high as possible. Then all of a sudden it was like turning on a switch, the problem was gone. I never could figure out what was wrong (it just wouldn’t happen with enough regularity), however I eventually ended up trading it on a V-Force…