Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sputtering Wolverine AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering Wolverine

I have read many, many, many posts about a problem with the Wolverine sputtering when it gets really hot. When the problem occurs it is usually when I am riding really hard and then it starts. Mine does it and it acts as if the parking brake is on and the "rev limiter" is engaged. While it is occuring you cannot give it any gas even in neutral or it will die I know that it is not the "rev limiter". I have had that problem since the day I got mine and it has been in the shop several times. The service tech guys cannot find anything nor can they make the problem occur. When it happens to me I have to stop and wait about 20 minutes then it runs fine... ????????????????? ANY suggestions, but please don't recommend unhooking parking brake cause it has been done!

Old 01-17-2004, 05:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sputtering Wolverine AGAIN!

I friend had a simlar problem. Tried a lot of things. But, cleaning the carb did the trick. Started sputtering again, cleaned the carb again, no problems since. It seems to have been as simple as dirt getting in the carb.

If you find out anything else please POST it.

Old 01-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like dirt in the carb. Once you have cleaned it, try installing an inline filter between the carb and tank.

Old 01-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, it is kinda funny because the last time it did it to me I kept it running and started opening and closing the choke and it cleared up. It would make since that while I was doing it the dirt passed.I kept thinking that it was just a coincident because I had set there for several minutes after a hard run through the woods. Now I need it to happen again so that I can try the same "fix". You know how it goes, when you have a leaky faucet it stops as soon as the plumber shows up!

Old 01-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It might be a heat soak issue. Heat may be transferring to the carb, from the motor. The fuel could be boiling in the float bowl, causing vapor lock. Try checking the float hieght, and try using only pure gas, with no added alcohol. By opening the choke, enrichener, it makes the very lean condition more rich. my two cents

Old 01-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said, we tried everything else first. Even thought the parking prake limiter was shorting out with the heat. Both time we cleaned the carb we found dirt in the float bowl. Also, the first time we found mud in the air box. I suspect that the airbox inlet is allowing mud. That mud dries up and when you ride fast the bumps and vibrations breakup the dried mud and is sucked into the carb. But this doesnt explain how dirt is getting in the float bowl. Therefor the must be dirt in the gas tank, not hard to beleive on a machine designed to operate in the mud. So why isnt the intank filter stopping the dirt? I dont know but an inline filter is cheap an easy to inspect.

I chased out my friends problem for a month befor we found our fix. I cant beleive we didnt start with the simple thing first. We were so sure it was a heat or electrical problem.

The fact that so many people have the same problem makes me wonder if there is more to it, or if the Yamahe air & fuel filtering systems are just not doing there jobs well enough.

Old 01-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

my wolverine hasnt given me any trouble like that so far.
run some carb cleaner through it

Old 01-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

same as everyone else clean the carb if that dosnt fix it check for a clogged fuel/air line

Old 01-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Mine sat for a year and when I got it out it was having similar troubles. Cleaning the carb worked for a few times (just the float bowl) . But I finally took the tank off, petcock out, and the carb off. Cleaned everything out well (took the carb completely apart and the petcock apart) but still was having troubles. It got worse after awhile. I ednded up having to repace the diaphram that works the slide in the carb. It looked good under inspection put it would let the slide spin, letting it leak and not opening up fully. After I replaced that slide diaphram it has ran fine. I found a used one that a guy had installed but didn't cure his problem. was able to buy it for half the price of a new one ($95).

Old 01-25-2004, 02:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

My 03 wolverine does the same thing and it really p!$$&$ me off. I have tried all of the things mentioned and I can't figure it out. Does yours also do it when it is cold outside. Does it do it after water deep enough for the motor but not deep enough to get near the intake? Going up steep hills winding out through the gears. Its probably a yamaha factory installed plague. LOL

Quick Reply: Sputtering Wolverine AGAIN!