Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor, Dale, 400ex, Z400/KFX400...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor, Dale, 400ex, Z400/KFX400...

ok....but like i mean how the heck would you get ur quad out if its parked in ur garage in between a car and truck? with no reverse, cuz thats where i'd park it..

Old 01-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Back in the day, we would have to push and pull it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

haha, well i never had a quad be4 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

I too am about to get a new quad as soon as I get rid of my R6 and blaster. The raptors seem like a much physical bigger bike. Im 6'2" 195lbs, and i need a bigger bike then the blaster. Im leaning towards the Raptor, but have had serious considerations towards the YFZ. I do not like not having reverse on the blaster, so that is the deciding factor for me to lean towards the raptor. Also the YFZ is a first year model this year..any known problems yet?

Old 01-20-2004, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

I use my reverse... to back off the trailer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

nah, if you are in the trails and get to a dead end, it's good to have. I couldn't imagine owning a bike w/o reverse. How much weight do you really save by not having reverse? Not enough to worry about [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2004, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

JRobertson - That must suck, 6'2 on a blaster. A rappy is much better for a guy of your size, ive heard that the YFZs are a little cramped (not like the blaster though) but it all depends on your riding style. if you like to jump and have great handling and basically a mx bike, go YFZ, but for more leisurely trails, dune cruising, and a softer ride, go for the rappy.

sn0rider ('s friend) - i dont miss reverse too much, it kinda makes me feel lazy to use it, but it all kinda depends on your riding style, if youre gonna do trails and a little tighter stuff reverse might be important, but for more open terrain you wont miss it much. as for loading and unloading from trailers, its not worth it if thats all you have reverse for. Plus, if reverse isnt important you can get a 400ex, which is very likely to be cheaper than a KFX400, although it will be slightly less powerful (not that that will matter too much for a first bike). I'd just compare the feel of the KFX to the ex and go from there.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Trailblazer

buy cannondale from http://www.southbaymoto.com/page10.htm. and RIDE IT FREE WORRY. if u need more serious power just *** those and SPANK OTHER PETHATIC QUADS

a- HMF or pipe 450$ .. low end - 10 H.P , midrange 10 H.P and top-end 7 H.P
b- Ace racing airbox and XMX map 300$.. 6 H.P
c- 14 front sprocket 20$

everthing is avaliable now for cannondales.. big bore and stroker kits.. and so many other aftermarket parts
for more info join us at www.cannondaler.com and www.cannondaleriders.com

thanx

Old 01-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

They would all be fun no doubt but the KFX400 is the best looking of them all.............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Having reverse is deffinatly a plus! I use mine alot, it really saves your arms in the long run not having to lift and slide the rear around when manuvering. If I were you I'd go for a KFX/Z400 if you can find any for $4k. If you really want reverse the only other option is the Rappy, I think they have a great reverse setup for this bike. It's very easy to engage and disengage (they have a video of it on the yamaha web site). I don't think the Rappy would have to much power for you if you just leave it stock. You can always mod it later after you get used to the power. Keep in mind the stock Rappy only has 30-35 hp, thats not to much at all. In fact that amount of hp is very controlable. When you pipe/filter/jet them they jump to near 50 hp (depending on pipe and how well tuned it is). Thats an incredable jump in power! Just a thought on the Rappy...I'm pretty sure you can find one for $4k now forsure! Good luck on your purchase!

Old 01-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

I can comment from experience on the Raptor, 400ex, and the Yfz, but the Z/Kfx is just from what I've seen/heard since I've yet to ride one.

If you want an all out full bore sport quad get the Yfz. It is the most state of the art thing out there right now. Extremely snappy power, catches gears faster than any other 4stroke out there, and with very simple mods will run with or beat most even decently modded Raptors. Its not overly plush for recreational offroading, and it rewards more agressive riders. Plus you'll never find one for $4000.

The Raptor is a great trail machine. Very usable torque, pretty plush suspension, and reverse. It is narrow(which can be an adv. or a disadv. depending on what your doing with it), and it does have a high center of gravity, but as long as its an 02' and up they are very strong/reliable machines. I have seen 02' Raptors around here for around $4000.

The Ex is really the tail end performer just because of out-dated design. It is a great handling quad(which may partially be due to a lack of power making it feel very planted), and has a very smooth progressive motor. With some mods these can make respectable power as well. Although there is not a reverse. If you do your homework and bargain hunt I've seen 2002 Ex's go for as low as $3000 in very good condition. The new Trx thats coming out has really put a hurting on the value of the Ex's, although they're still a great machine. Its just that time marches on and the ex is being left in the dust.

From what I've heard the Kfx/Z is a great trail machine, and with some money thrown at it a very serious contender on the mx track. Reverse is a plus, and in stock form they put out some pretty decent power. I had the opertunity to race one at a race I ran in in Oct., and can say they really pull of the line. They catch gears much faster than the raptor, although they are down on overall horsepower compared to the Raptor. But as all of us know(although some don't want to admit) we all don't run in a straight line all the time. They seem to be solid machines, and from what I've heard aside from some frame failures(from serious mx mind you) they have had no problems/failures. I have also seen Z/kfx's around here for $3999 to $4200. Again do your homework, they're out there you just have to hunt sometimes.

Although I got lengthy I hope I shed some light on your options. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Raptor, Dale, 400ex, Z400/KFX400...