Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

atv magazines

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv magazines

I like looking at, and flipping through most any atv magazine. But the shootout's change month to month. One month a certain bike will be the best ever, the next month it's getting dogged bad.

Old 01-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Range Rover
Default atv magazines

Yeah that's true like Dirtwheels uses the flavor of the month theory on their tests.....lol!

Old 01-21-2004, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default atv magazines

i think everyone is making good points....i think there should be a magzine that lays down facts...

like for all the people who want to know THIS vs THAT
have a shootout with several guys, have them switch bikes, etc and give their results, show their stock dynos, show dyno's for ad's....all we see in a lot of mags is ads are companies saying 'we make the best xxx around' etc...
they should get their products and dyno them all and show results.
that way there is no hype..that way I'd know what the best pipe is for my bike for the riding I do...no bs

also...mag's shouldnt be payed into saying anything...but really..what company can really resist that? managing a company can be hard and manufact's can make it easier by telling them to lie for a price

personally, I think mags should seeek out other products to do reviews on.
instead of comparing sparks to turner they should compare sparks to turner and joe shmo pipe maker fron rhone island..i think there are a ton of companies out there no one has heard of making better products than any popular name brand item...and im sure they'll find that either

1) joe shmo co. really sucks and doesnt know what they are doin
or
2) they know what they're doin..makin wayyyy better products than anyone but dont have the publiciity and are a small company

Old 01-21-2004, 03:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default atv magazines

Hmmm, interesting comments. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default atv magazines

if you ask me dirtwheels just bites[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] i wonder why i read it?

I like atv action a lot better

"all the machines in our test were so close we couldn't declare a winner so you have to choose the atv that suits you best."
exactly! it makes me wonder why they did the test in the first place.

But the shootout's change month to month. One month a certain bike will be the best ever, the next month it's getting dogged bad.
thats very true as well

Old 01-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv magazines

Originally posted by: dunc_n
"all the machines in our test were so close we couldn't declare a winner so you have to choose the atv that suits you best." .

I understand where you're coming from.... I can't stand to see those Photo shopped quads in the "photos" section, especially when there were probably 1000 better pictures to print.

But, the line that I took from you rant is one that I see posted on these boards a lot. But, as you say if it's a true shootout there should be a winner and a loser. Let's face it though; all the machines available now are top quality... even that aging 400ex and Warrior. Look at the choices we have in our sport compared to 10 years ago. I think the mags do their job.... could they do it better? Yes, but couldn't we all?

LT84

Old 01-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv magazines

I haven't found a ATV mag yet that I truely enjoy.
And I can pick up all the real world info I need on quads right here on the forum.
As well as the latest scoop on new stuff coming out.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Range Rover
Default atv magazines

What bothers me most is the horrible race coverage in the mags. Would it kill them to show a picture that shows a track layout?!? I've never raced myself, but i'd like to have some sort of idea of HOW someone ran a fast time! At least it would be more interesting than the SAME OLD streak-by pics!
The other thing that really bugs me is that whenever they do a "project quad" all they ever do is get free stuff to bolt on to it. I've NEVER seen a cheap way to make a real improvement on a quad!

Old 01-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default atv magazines

I read ATV magazine, ATV sport, Dirtwheels, ATV Rider, and 4 wheel ATV action. They all have some good points and some bad points. my fave is probably ATV action. Dirtwheels isnt bad, they do some pretty informative stuff, but their comparisons do suck sometimes. Basically i just read the articles that are a test of each bike individually and then make my own comparison. Its kinda true that there isnt a winner though, cause whats good for one rider isnt for another. If i want real information that i think i can trust, i read all 5 mags and take the most common info and make one decision about whatever bike theyre talking about based on that.

Old 01-23-2004, 03:14 AM
Quad Patrol
Default atv magazines

I havent found one magazine that does it all. Each one has their place. I just buy the one that interest me the most that month. In the long run, I'd probably be better off subscribing to all of them. It might be cheaper.

Quick Reply: atv magazines