Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How much faster is a 400ex then a Wolverine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much faster is a 400ex then a Wolverine?

Ive rode 400EX's and I like them , they are nice, but I dont think they are as fast as people make them out to be. They will out accelerate a stock Wolverine no prob, but it didnt take much and I was on his right on his tail. 400exs only go 64-65mph, they arent rocket ships. If you go riding with one, you will be able to keep up if you are a good rider. But the half throttle 4th gear thing....I dont think so, unless the Wolverine has something wrong with it.

Old 01-26-2004, 03:32 AM
Range Rover

I have friends that own both, and I must say that the 400ex rips up the wolverine in a race. (don't even think I would even buy a 400 ex though) It all depends on the type of riding that you want to do. A wolverine is a good all around quad and refuses to get stuck with the AWD. The 400 ex just flat out handles better and pulls harder in ever gear.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

I guess before one could make an honest reply to a thread like this, he must know the full extend of the "trail conditions" in which one of the two bikes would be faster. We also have to know if we are talking "Stock" or not for both bikes. Let's analyze.... shall we?

Trail - Winner (More than likely)
Highway - 400EX
Easy hardpack trail riding - 400EX
Tight woods trail riding - Hmmmm might be difficult to say.. 4wd helps to pull the nose into the corner and the rearend will follow
- 2wd machines begin to fishtail

Rock Crawling in Colorado - Wolverine - I have yet to see a winch equipped 400EX on the trail yet
Axle Deep Mudd Running - Wolverine - It's a 4WD and Ground clearance thing - 2WD'ers just don't get it yet
Axle Deep or above Snow covered trails - Wolverine - See previous note ^

From the list above, looks as if the Wolverine out performs the 400EX.

These bikes were never meant to be compared. Riding style and preferences are what you need to look at. If you want to go fast.. 2wd. If you want to go somewhat fast with 4wd.. Wolverine. I used to think the same way you do.. Well, I want to ride with Buddy A, and he rides X bike. Should I get an X comparable bike so I can ride with him? No, my riding style and preferences determined I should buy a Z bike and now I Ride with Buddy A once in a while and ride with Buddies B,C,D, etc. more often. Pick yer poison.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly 95 Wolverine. These two machines are not made to be in a similar class. Its like comparing Hummers to Corvettes.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

I like what 95Wolverine said.

No, stock for stock, you arent giong to be winning any races against him with a wolveirne unless its through the mud pit. But if you want to do some mods, you will be competitive with him without any doubt unless you are drag racing all the time, then you are going to have to get a little more serious about the modifications. But what I have told you above is 100% true and I have no reason to tell you otherwise.

I wasnt drag racing the 400, but they were rolling full throttle start from 3rd gear say, going "across the hollow to the local hillclimb" type of thing, exactly what "superfastwolv" would be doing with his buddy who has the 400EX. My point is that if you have a Wolveirne and you firend has a 400EX, you still have hope even if its stock, and there is no reason for you to lose sight of his tail lights.

My bike was lightly modified and jetting was almost perfect and the top end speed was that close. My top end speed was almost identical to a Polaris Sport 400 and Scrambler 400 4x4 even though both would beat me on take off in a drag race.

Ride whatever you want to, you can do whatever you need to keep up. Buy what you like. I like the 4x4, it has distict advantages and the Wolveine is light enough to manhandle through the woods if you want to.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

it ne more of a race for the 300ex but still dont think it could hang

Old 01-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 300racer
it ne more of a race for the 300ex but still dont think it could hang
english please?

but 95wolverine hit the nail on the head. i've raced kfx 400's through the woods on my step dad's kodiak and can hang not too far behind if i keep it in high gear range.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

Depends on terrain, flat drag the ex is faster, and handles better since the wolvie is full time 4x4, but in mud, rutted rough stuff, ice, snow, all the good stuff the wolvie will pull right through it. and its faster in a "reverse drag" lmao. all depends on the terrain when comparing these two.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:12 AM
Pro Rider

On a street (asfalt) a 400ex goes about 65MPH, and a wolvy goes about 55MPH. So the 400ex is about 10MPH faster than the wolvy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

My blaster can take a wolvy no problem, but the 400ex will put me to shame. so that must mean the ex can take the wolvy as well

Quick Reply: How much faster is a 400ex then a Wolverine?