Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about reeds and reed cages!

These reed cages look very similar to the ones Terry Mossbarger used to sell . Terry always used a reed stop in all his cages though . Is this a new design , or did someone buy his tooling ?

Old 01-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

pimp250r, stay with the same polit jet. It doesn't have to be increased.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

The pics are ok.... How about seeing the intake portion? Just looks like any other reed valve from the outside.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the pics.

Rick, when I called and asked questions about them, he said that they have been running this design since the 70's. They started out on Husqvarna's racing team. So you are probably right. It was my understanding from talking to him that they were supposed to have adjustable stops.

He told me about their stock bike that went from 280 mains to 430's by just changing the reed cages. He said that guys have got off of their alcohol 250R's and just raved about how hard this stock banshee with just pipes and reed cages pulled. I am sorry but I just believe it. Rick, can you see reed cages making that big of a difference in air/fuel ratio? The main reason to change it is the burn rate of the fuel, which reed cages should barely affect if at all. I just don't believe it. If this design has in fact be around since the 70's and it lives up to its hype, why does almost every builder still recommend V-force.

I would like to try a set, and I would be willing to pay the amount if I thought they would help. However, feeding me some bullshi! about how just adding new reed cages will double your jet size, isn't enough to make me feel they are worth it. If the product works, it should sell without lines like that.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah they look similar to what I run in my Banshee...

I use Mossbarger reeds and cages.

Check them out...

Mossbarger Racing

Old 01-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Did you notice the chart on the ebay auctions that list flow numbers? Notice V-force and Pyrimid have an asterick beside them? The note at the bottom says they were flowed at 10" of water. That would make sense why the chart shows a stock 250R cage outflowing the V-force.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Somone bring this back up in a few months with more people have them and tell me how they work. Then I might buy a set or two.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

All I can tell you guys is they really work. I would post anything unless I did not believe in it 100% myself. I purchased them, I followed all of William's suggestions and the end product is awsome. My banshee never ran this good with the V-Force crap. My stock YZ250 reed cages worked better than the V-Force.

If you this this is a line of bullcrap then you are scared of the truth. By a set and try them yourself.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

My point is not if they work or don't, but that I do not believe they change jetting that much. How much did your jetting change by going with them?

Are these the stock banshee style or are they for the T-rex cylinders (YZ/CR style)?

Old 01-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Range Rover

I don't buy into those G3's either.Atleast not on a slightly modded or stock bike.For an all out drag bike there might be potential,but thats where it stops.

The V-force is a great reed valve for lower rpm use and still can really scream on top.Low speed performance being the key for a lightly modded or stock machine.
The G3 might make more h.p than the V-Force on top,but the bottom will be terrible.Flow isn't everything,the velocity will probably be too low and performance may suffer.Thats why they throw in a 12mm torque spacer.IMO V-force are unmatched on non powervalved machines.

The G3's are new and someone is trying to pump them up to get them into the market.Bigger is not always better.If Mototassinari could find a way to make their reedvalve any better,I'm sure they would have already.Same goes for Pyramid and Boysen.

I don't have anything against new products,but these do not look like they will be a good "all around"reed valve.They might be great for an engine that constantly lives in the "powerband" like a snomobile or an all-out drag quad.

Quick Reply: The truth about reeds and reed cages!